Need advice on how to begin a board track racer, please advise

GoldenMotor.com

ezslim

Jul 3, 2011
toronto/windsor/detroit
hello all,

Ive been on the forum for a couple of years but never posted. Now I think its about time that I build a motorized bicycle. BUT I need help. I have zero understanding of where to begin.

Ideally, im looking to make something like this:

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/36377/

However, whats a good bike to start with? Frame size, frame width, etc. Which one will be the easiest to cut up and make similar the above? I have no idea what kind of bike or brand for that matter.

I want to add a bit wider white tires as well as a springer front. I would probably be using a 80cc maybe 49cc.

Please advise! If it helps, im checking for it in ontario, canada. Alot of bikes on Kijiji (craigslist isnt big here anymore)

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
What is your skill level? Can you weld? Fabricate metal parts? How much time are you willing to spend on it?

The easiest and most economical way would be to start with a frame with a similar look, such as a Worksman newsboy or a vintage Schwinn.

Most of the original board track racers had 28" wheels. This is an uncommon size for bicycles in this era so most replicas use 26" bike wheels.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If you are going to cut one up I would use a ols Schwinn girls bike. They have nice curved top tube that can be cut out and added to the bottom tube, gives you a nice stretch and drop loop. Then you can add top tubes after they are good strong old frames,and save a lot of tube bending. Not only that they have the good old strong 26" wheels. Mr.B did that in one of his builds. Study this and the DIY section and it will tell you just about everything you would want to know,read a lot before you start........Curt

ezslim

Jul 3, 2011
toronto/windsor/detroit
The easy way is to start with a boardtrack style frame & tank. A lot depends on your fabrication skills & equipment.

All of these bikes started from Silver State frame & tank kits:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=54897

I can get a buddy with a shop to bend and weld the new frame components. Im in Canada so ordering from the US is costly especially a frame

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If your in Windsor (my home town, raised in T.O.) why don't you get a mail drop off in Detroit and have the frame ect. shipped there and then pick it up. If they charge you duty it will be less than the shipping to Canada. I do it all the time.

Most acceptable wheels and tires are based on 24" or 26". Usually 28" rims are narrow and meant for road bike. You may find some in Europe from early motorbikes but they will be pricey by the time they get here with the proper tires.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If it were me and I was looking to modify an existing frame (and didn't have the kind of money it takes to buy a bike from Silver States or Sportsman Flyer I would look for either the Worksman newsboy frame and then modify the front down tube to a drop loop like the Indian in your picture has to give more room for an engine (although a china girl engine will fit unmodified) I would look for a "straight bar" frame from a 1950's Schwinn (commonly referred to as a "Panther" frame). It also has a frame geometry similar to the Indian pictured. Both are well made frames. The Schwinn frame can be found on ebay usually and the Worksman can be purchased either used on ebay or new from Worksman cycles. There are other vintage frames that can be made to work and you may find something by looking up vintage frames on ebay. Good luck on your adventure!
SB

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I don't know about the shipping because I pick up the Silver State frames at the factory - but a frame & tank is only 450 bucks.

If you have someone willing to bend the tube & weld all the parts, nearly any donor bike will do. All you need is a serviceable bottom bracket / seat post / stays & drop outs. The you bend the drop loop & top tube.