1967 Schwinn Racer "BMX style"

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Here we go with a new project for the summer. I recently came across a 1967 Schwinn Racer (aka speedster/ camel-back) frame that I got off ebay for cheap. It got Saturday and here is what it looks like... I plan to build a BMX racer out of it and put a motor on it of course (^). The frame out of the box looked way too small for my size. I thought I made a bad decision at first. I did a quick build with spare parts and it looks better with wheels, forks and a seat. About the same height as my BTR. Project still on!

takes 26" wheels and has a 19" frame

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I took a day off from work today. Not really. I took it off to work on the bike :p. The way I received the bike, well, it was a mess and needed to be stripped asap. No chemicals here, just the right tool. The frame cleaned up very nice. I'm thinking about leaving it raw now...

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i built a 24" speedster for my last race bike. i also have a 26 that's still a bicycle. i love those frames.

one problem you're gonna run into is tire and chain clearance. those bikes are designed for 1 1/38 rims and you'll need to stretch the rear triangle to squeeze fatter tires in there.

there's a how-to on here somewheres, or you can google "sheldon brown frame stretching."

other than that, it's a simple build. plenty of room for a motor with those frames. bolts right in...

good luck. :)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
i built a 24" speedster for my last race bike. i also have a 26 that's still a bicycle. i love those frames.

one problem you're gonna run into is tire and chain clearance. those bikes are designed for 1 1/38 rims and you'll need to stretch the rear triangle to squeeze fatter tires in there.

there's a how-to on here somewheres, or you can google "sheldon brown frame stretching."

other than that, it's a simple build. plenty of room for a motor with those frames. bolts right in...

good luck. :)
Your right Baird, they are really nice frames! Your build was part of the inspiration. I like the strength and simplicity of these frames. I did a quick mock build with some spare parts and I was able to get a 26x2.125 in there, that I stole temporarily off the wife's cranbrook. There was maybe a 1/16" of clearance on each side of the tire both top and bottom of the triangle with the tire 90% inflated. I think I should be able to run 1.75 maybe 1.95 and be okay. I need to beef up the welds in few places and then I can paint it or leave it raw, I still cant decide. Thanks for the kind words! :)

More to come...

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Those old "electroweld" frames have such a cool look around the headtubes. Gets that fillet brazed shape on the cheap. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
So shoot me! I took another day off from work to make it a 4 day weekend for fathers day :). Plus work on the bike :p

Morning project complete. Per Baird's advise I welded up the seat junction, underneath so it looks untouched from the top. I also beefed up the rear triangle with a round gusset that I made from a handle bar cut in 1/2. I still might add a flat plate on top of the round one for added strength (kinda like a double wall rim).

Progress...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice looking frame, the old Western Flyer frame I have is gonna get some welding and some bracing in the future when I take it all down for a decent paint job, the rear dropouts will get welded to the frame and maybe a couple gussets for added strength.

Cant wait to see what you end up with when this project is done...

Map

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Nice bike frame.. How about replacing the front down tube with one from a step through.
Especially the old Schwinn girls down tubes have a nice curve to them...........Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You know I'm watching this one Frank. Your builds are always so nice. It's fun to see the progress and the final results. Keep us posted.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice clean looking bike so far F_Rod81

Im gonna be glad when I have time to get back on a couple of my bikes, just working to much and its way to hot in these parts right now...

I'll be watching this nice bike coming together here also.

Map

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Okay, so the bike is all wired up. I ran the cables and fuel line, and cut them to length. I also installed the peanut tank temporarily till I can find a different tank that I like for the bike. That being said, I wire wheeled the top of the tank to match the rest of the bike. I left the bottom of the tank black to look like a top tube pad like on the older bmx's. Rather then using the stock mounts that are with the motor I used SBP mounts for the front and rear. They say that it isn't designed for the rear but it works very well. I just needed to shave 1/8 off the chain side of the rear mount. Extremely soild!!! Just an old Dax engine floating on the mounts, but at least you can see how it sits. I think this bike is going to get my old grubee engine and a new reed setup. Should be a screamer!

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
To be honest, I don't know how long the rigid forks will last on this bike. Rigid forks work on my other bike but this is a totally different build. Only time and miles will tell. Looks good in the mean time. :D

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
"Morini era" KTM expansion chamber to use...

Wire wheeled, welded to the stock pipe, and painted with some bbq grill high-temp paint.