Project revival

GoldenMotor.com

isaac the kid

Mar 8, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
About a year and a half ago i set out customize my Cranbrook, and never really finished the mods (http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41750&highlight=my+cranny+mod). Well under a different account I will now resume that build now to be a daily driver to school (i am a sophomore in high school).

the bike is a huffy cranbrook with a "jet" brand 66/80cc 2 stroke kit that's stock except for the NT speed carb. I then welded a steel tube going from the down tube to the seat tube, and welded a front engine mount plate. Other than that its just a chrome springer fork and a new plug cap.

I never got around to completely tuning to NT carb and so i need to start with that. it wont idle or go WOT without choke and with the needle clip at the richest (lowest position) setting it runs ok 1/2-3/4 throttle. It seemed obvious it needed a richer jet so i have ordered 5 different jets from SPB as i dont really have the tools to jet it myself (sizes .66, .70, .74, .78, and .82 mm). I was also planning on drilling some holes in the plastic air filter to breath more but i know this is unnecessary.

I have also had problems with the handlebars (stock cruiser) staying up as i have flipped them BTR style and it seems to have worn out the gripyness of the clamp on them, so i ordered some almost straight handlebars on amazon. lastly I wanted to be able to cruise at little lower rpm and ordered a 36t rear sprocket from bikeberry.

future updates will come on as money allows but the long term plans are:
expansion chamber
worksman front drum wheel (only a coaster brake for now)
lay back seat post
reed valve
kick stand- because of the low rider fork i can actually stand it on one of the pedals
in-frame gas tank
sprocket adapter

thanks, your thoughts will be appreciated.

Attachments

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
careful Isaac
you better put a child's pedal bike crank -short shafts -on your beauty or your low ground clearance stock crank is going to send you on a death trip when you are cornering!!!!!

caution--ride safe

isaac the kid

Mar 8, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
Alright parts came yesterday and i worked/rode most of today installing the handlebars, tuning the carburetor and finally got around to changing the sprocket to the 36t and ran into a problem

the coaster brake arm had been warped from torque and was stuck against the inner hub nut. so i just took the hub assembly out from removing it from the left side and slid the sprocket onto the wheel. When i tried to put the hub back together with the sprocket two of the bearings were warped and the races wouldn't hold the balls, and when i tightened the hub together it spins with a lot of resistance. I don't really know where to find new wheel bearings and I've been wanting some worksman wheels so if there isn't an easy fix i may just bight the bullet and buy a set.

also thanks bubba, i ride with em horizontal but if i ever see a set of short cranks ill be sure to pick em up.

isaac the kid

Mar 8, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
The weather around here has been really cold and rainy recently and haven't really been able to do much and less without the rear wheel (comes tomorrow), but today I went in the shed to modify the exhaust. I read somebody else on here putting a glade air freshener can over their exhaust and did basically that with some course steel wool in as a dampener. should my next thing will probably be sanding down the head band to improve compression, i and working on building an in frame gas tank out of HDPE but ill need a new intake because my carburetor is to close to the second top tube.

Attachments

isaac the kid

Mar 8, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
well I finally got around to replacing the rear sprocket with a 36t once my wheel arrived but it doesn't fit well at all with the rag joint clamp set up so i went ahead and purchased a maniac mechanic sprocket adapter. I know it may be unnecessary but it will be better and easier to exchange sprockets in the future, and should be better on the wheel.

I have a question, whats the best dealer to buy parts from? Bikeberry is what ive been going from, they have good prices and a good website. dax and spb seem to be trustworthy and good reviews but don't have the widest range of parts (although both have specialty parts). I like the things pirate cycles has but some of it has been out of stock awhile where do you but most stuff from? or is it based on who has what?