Looking for lower case housings

GoldenMotor.com

AdmiralRedman

Nov 5, 2008
Texas
The woodruff key rattled out on a friends bike and knocked a hole in the flange on clutch side of his motor. The vendor he got his kit from is not willing to fix the issue.

Attached is a couple of pics. Damage was caused by a galled screw thread on the crankshaft pinion that did not tighten up properly and allowed the pinion (sometimes called bevel gear) to float and the woodruff key to come loose.

Does anyone know a vendor with the lower unit in stock?

Thanks!
James

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Is there any other damage besides the missing key and that hole? You should be able to find a new key, and the hole is really only cosmetic....

I haven't seen any lowers for sale, you'll probably just have to buy the whole motor (sans kit). I think you can get one for like 90 bucks from thatsdax.

AdmiralRedman

Nov 5, 2008
Texas
I have already replaced the key. I thought that the clutch ran wet on these motors? I was scared to induce an air leak into the motor.

Turns out the vendor might be somewhat helpful when it comes to getting me parts. We shall see. Waiting for a reply back from him.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Unlikely I would have any of those. When i got started in this, the 48cc squarehead was the ONLY engine available. Then the Roundhead 48, North China "80" and MUCH later the so-called 80 from South china (called 68, 69, 70, and 80cc).

Good luck amigo, MANY people blew those up and should have cases for you.

Mike