First Build Done!

GoldenMotor.com

UWMrider

Jan 23, 2013
Milwaukee
Just got my first build running in time for the 60 degree day here! Have a shift kit on it and have spent the day learning the best way to shift, take off from a stop, etc. This thing is a blast and am getting a ton of looks on campus when i ride by!

One issue though, when I get to 5th gear the engine starts bogging down until it will stop. What is causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sharp build. Your top gear may simply be too tall for the little 2 stroke engine. Avoid the top gear and keep your engine running comfortably in it's operating envelope.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Great looking build.

If you just put it on it, you should be running (fuel to oil) 16:1 for the first tank, then up to 32:1. I run 50:1 right now, some are using some crazy miracle oil that's 100:1.
Remember, you're just braking it in. Because you're braking it in, you have more oil particles then normal. Your engine is still getting an explosion, but it's more "wet" for the unburnt oil.
I'd recommend not running your engine that hard yet. I don't mean baby it! I mean don't have it in 5th or 6th gear yet. Stay in 1-3, maybe in forth if you don't wind it out too much.
You can get more out of it on the second or third tank, once you dilute the oil mixture a bit. And once the cylinder mates to the piston, it'll be much better.

So, take it easy for a few tanks. Then you will see a better performance.

Also, FYI, check torque on most of this stuff before you ride. These engines are notorious for vibrating, and even loosening nuts and bolts. I would take these acorn nuts off the top of the cylinders, and get a good set of grade 8 from any hardware store to properly secure them to the cylinder. Over time, they will probably loosen and creat a little small leak.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry Don,
Most of us do not recommend running 16:1 oil ratio. It has been more or less proven that it is too much oil. You'll have spark plug and muffler fouling and poor performance as compared to the recommended 24:1 or even 32:1 fuel to oil ratio. That applies to break-in as well as thereafter.

The 16:1 ratio is what the kit instructions say to use but it is generally assumed that the manufacturers are basing that on using standard engine oil and not oil formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines.

This isn't just my opinion. Others will probably chime in.

By the way, to the OP, UWM, congratulations, that's a very nice bike.

Tom

Last edited:

UWMrider

Jan 23, 2013
Milwaukee
Thanks everyone for the compliments and input. I am currently running just a little leaner than 16:1 so i will lean that down more for the next tanks. I was also thinking a better air filter will help it breath better too. Once I get the break in taken care of ill probably slap a little nicer carb on it too.

Master-Shake: I got the gas tank off bikeberry