Here are the two new Huffy Cranbrooks!

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Being able to buy cheap stuff from china is a blessing and a curse. It's cool because poor folk like me can still afford to buy things we want or need. Then a curse cause, with what we owe them, china pretty much owns the U.S., and that SUCKS. If the same bike was made in the U.S. it would cost three times the price, And that sucks too.
Everybody complains about cheap chinese crap, but we keep buying it, don't we.
fatdaddy.dance1

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
careful, boeing uses wing's made in china. but like the old sayin ' if harley-davidson made airplane's would you fly in one?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
careful, boeing uses wing's made in china. but like the old sayin ' if harley-davidson made airplane's would you fly in one?
LOL dmb.

only if they had pedals like the first ones.

Not everything that comes out of China is cheap or crap.

The electric stuff rocks!
Was just thinking about that mike. I have had great luck with HF electric tools. Also have an $800 monster from them that I have yet to plug in so might be wishful thinking.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Come on Bean, I am not dissing you or anyone else that is a Huffy fan as they used to be the best bikes made, but look at what you said you had to do for heavens sake and in your numbers you never considered all the time, frustration and money to get the parts and do it for free!

My point here to all new builders is simple, put your money in the bike first.

Agree or disagree that's up to you, just please Bean, this is a new builder all excited about building 2 new bikes, stop telling newbies that a piece of **** bicycle to start with will work just dandy and last just fine and you can prove it please because that is just flat out bull****, this guy will will be dumping money and disappointed as **** in a month with 2 of them and you know it.
I'm hardly an excited new builder,these are my third and fourth Cranbrooks respectively, as well as several others (including some high-end bikes) and I've had NO problems that were caused by the hardware on these models being too cheap. The steel rims hold up just fine and bearings as well (with normal maintenance). ALL brands have some lemons when the line matches all the loose parts in one bike but Huffy has taken a step up in quality these last few years. I've been racing and riding bikes since I was a kid (I'm 50 now) and I have nothing bad to say about these wallyworld bargain bikes for 94$ out the door. I did remove the fenders on both to prevent vibration related noise and failures (and for the looks) but I don't plan to upgrade much besides replacing the kit chain with good #40 roller chain and welding the tensioners to the frame to keep the wheel safer.
Here's the engine mounted in the first bike.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I LOVE MY CRANBROOK, and I'm pretty sure she loves me too.
I said in an earlier post that I was thinking about using a moped rear hub on my baby. Let me make myself perfectly clear. I'm not doing it because of any weakness or failure of the rear hub, tire(as cheap as THAT was,) or any part of the rear setup. The reason I would do it is because I HATE COASTER BRAKES. I suppose I could put cantilevers on it cheaper, but drum brakes just have a certain appeal to me. If I can't come up with the money for a drum hub, then for now, I will put V-brakes on the rear. Coasters just don't work real well at 35mph. I did put on the Schwinn forks with the cantilever bosses for the front brakes. I could have just welded the studs on the Huffy forks, but I already had the Schwinn forks in my shop, and they went on like they were made for it. BUT, anything before the 2010-2011 models (and MAYBE 2012) were not made well. I know "chinese quality control" is a joke, but they did a much better job during this period.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
fatdaddy, I know you got the fork with the bosses, but whats wrong with a front drum? I have a front drum and rear coaster, and its worked out well for me. I have a shock fork with cantilever bosses too, but I still chose a front drum over v-brakes, and a coaster brake is a form of drum brake. Just food for thought, its still your bike to build how you choose.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
maniac57, that bike is looking decent so far. I got a white and blue cranbrook. Earlier this year, I saw the orange ones like what you have and wished I could afford one. But now my dream bike is a Huffy Regatta. $200, comes with a Nexus 3 speed and saddlebags. My fantasy is a shift kit for the 3 speed with a case inducted reed valved engine with my hi-hi head. I think that would be pretty sick.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
fatdaddy, I know you got the fork with the bosses, but whats wrong with a front drum? I have a front drum and rear coaster, and its worked out well for me. I have a shock fork with cantilever bosses too, but I still chose a front drum over v-brakes, and a coaster brake is a form of drum brake. Just food for thought, its still your bike to build how you choose.
Nothin wrong with a front drum, but I was thinkin disc on front. And the reason for drum rear is because a lot of the old style moped hubs will pretty much just bolt on, easy.
I'm glad yer happy with yer coaster, I DON"T LIKE THEM. It seems that they either don't stop you or lock up completely, no in between. If coaster brakes were all that good, why do you have any other brakes at all? I'LL TELL YOU WHY, cause coaster brakes can't be trusted, especially at 35mph.
But I still completely agree with you about the Cranbrook. It makes a great platform to start a build with. Where else can ya get a STEEL cruiser frame with STEEL rims for under $100. And thats all ANY bike is, a platform to work with. Even with the much more expensive bikes yer gonna eventually change A LOT of stuff to suit your personal wants and needs. So, in the end, all yer really buying is a frame to build on. I gave Mitch permission to steal what I've always said, (and he's using it a lot,)
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nothin wrong with a front drum, but I was thinkin disc on front. And the reason for drum rear is because a lot of the old style moped hubs will pretty much just bolt on, easy.
I'm glad yer happy with yer coaster, I DON"T LIKE THEM. It seems that they either don't stop you or lock up completely, no in between. If coaster brakes were all that good, why do you have any other brakes at all? I'LL TELL YOU WHY, cause coaster brakes can't be trusted, especially at 35mph.
But I still completely agree with you about the Cranbrook. It makes a great platform to start a build with. Where else can ya get a STEEL cruiser frame with STEEL rims for under $100. And thats all ANY bike is, a platform to work with. Even with the much more expensive bikes yer gonna eventually change A LOT of stuff to suit your personal wants and needs. So, in the end, all yer really buying is a frame to build on. I gave Mitch permission to steal what I've always said, (and he's using it a lot,)
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.
Everyone has their own personal preferences as far as brakes are concerned, I'm not knocking yours. Sorry if it came off that way. My only complaint with coaster brakes is that they aren't adequate for emergency stops. I have always run a coaster brake (my first bike only had a coaster brake, but I didnt know as much about brakes and where most of your braking power comes from). In 3 years, I've had a coaster lock up on me once, and it was due to the fact that it needed to be serviced. I serviced it and its been fine since. Nowadays, I rely mostly on my front brake, mostly because its easier on my knees. If I need to stop more quickly, I apply both brakes and pretty much stop on a dime. These are just my experiences, but one thing is for sure. A coaster brake alone is NOT enough for a motorbike. I never recommend just a coaster brake, and always advise people to put some sort of front brake on. So at least you have a front brake. Again, not knocking your preferences, just sharing my experiences.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Finally got around to posting some pics of the first completed Cranbrook
Here's a close up of the tack weld on the tensioner bracket and the #40 roller chain

I love then way it looks without fenders and chainguard...Kinda bobberish:confused:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I slapped a sprung fork on the other one. Better ride and decent front brake hopefully. Looks pretty good so far...

Swapped on a set of alloy rims too for now. Might use the steelies that match the paint, still undecided.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
I agree with you Maniac57,, Huffy had stepped up on there quality control. I see alot of differant colors of the cranny's & they look awesome. That's not hard for me to say being a schwinn collector,,, But you can't beat the price either! I built 2 for freinds, & both are still holding up. The tires on the panama Jack are pretty cool also. Not knobbys but smooth fatties. I like the color of the orange one's you built. Enjoy them!! dnut