New HF engine

GoldenMotor.com
I found this interesting: On page 6 of the owner's manual it states in bold print "Do not install this engine on a vehicle".
I wonder if HF is catching on?
Actually the prohibition is on page 7 of the manual. This means we all must abandon our projects and find some approved use for these things. </sarcasm>
Nowadays, you must ignore many of the warnings and restrictions manufactures officially state regarding their products. The prevailing wisdom is that the manufactures are using excessive caution to forestall a possible law suit. I'm not so sure that's the real motivation. It may be fear-of-the-unconventional caused by a narrow mindset. In any case, Harbor Freight, and anybody else who profits by the sales these engines, actually is pleased if somebody finds employment for them.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I am not happy they have discontinued the engine. I just got two engine mount plates for my next builds and now what.... GERRRR! HF YOU SUCK!
I would be will to bet the mounting foot print is the same for both the 79cc and 99cc engines. I doubt they are much different when it comes to the engine block size as the cc difference isn't that great in size. Many times cc size difference is in the deck height and piston size by very little amounts.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
? is when they come in and i want to put one on my bike.. how am i going to hook it up to a chain? i mean cvt? will something custom have to be made? i want to switch out my hs for one of these

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
HuaShengs and Harbor Freight engines have different bolt patterns for how the primary reduction drive attaches. Are you referring to re-using your current primary drive from the HS and bolting it up to the HF?
What type of drive are we discussing here?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
yes my options.. if i buy the hf motor i know theres a cvt for it but i coulda swore there were other options.. what i need to know if if i can get somethign that bolts up to a hf motor comes back like the hs 142 tranny does to that 11 tooth sproket so i dont have to make a jack shaft basically bolt on and go.. because the chain dosent line up with any motor..

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
yes my options.. if i buy the hf motor i know theres a cvt for it but i coulda swore there were other options.. what i need to know if if i can get somethign that bolts up to a hf motor comes back like the hs 142 tranny does to that 11 tooth sproket so i dont have to make a jack shaft basically bolt on and go.. because the chain dosent line up with any motor..
An EZ Motorbike Q Matic gearbox will work.

but this is what most builders are using.

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2600&Category_Code=99cc

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
ahhh that would work geesh 135 plus shipping plus 100 dollar motor.. almost the cost of a whole new kit.. i went from 2 stroke china crap to alittle better crap at 450 for this kit to now another haha all for reliability

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
ahhh that would work geesh 135 plus shipping plus 100 dollar motor.. almost the cost of a whole new kit.. i went from 2 stroke china crap to alittle better crap at 450 for this kit to now another haha all for reliability
I guess the ASE book info you learned didn't teach you how to wrench on motorized bicycle drivetrains.

If you could see how hard I was laughing right now, you'd prolly be mad. I feel sorry for you tho.

I hope you figure it out, sorry there's no book on it.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Oh but the HF motor will run and run and run and run some more like 16,000 or ..... BTW who has the most miles on one anyway? I have heard of 16 and 20k but these are word of mouth tales. I know once I built my first 4 stroke I never looked back. 2 strokes?I have one working one working not so well and one blown up in a box. All are off bikes none are in use

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I guess the ASE book info you learned didn't teach you how to wrench on motorized bicycle drivetrains.

If you could see how hard I was laughing right now, you'd prolly be mad. I feel sorry for you tho.

I hope you figure it out, sorry there's no book on it.
why are you picking on me? i did nothing to you to deserve this kind of backlash.. grow up

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
I dunno, relating anything ASE to MaBs kinda makes me laugh pretty hard :D
We have customers who build $25,000.00 V8 engines for a living. They will contact us asking for help with the $1,000.00 200cc engine they are building. The little engines are different and they are just looking for some insight. Locutus_1 has ase training and that is great, but I bet they never had a motorized bike in the classroom. Maybe you should keep your laughter to yourself and only speak up when you have something helpful to say.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
We have customers who build $25,000.00 V8 engines for a living. They will contact us asking for help with the $1,000.00 200cc engine they are building. The little engines are different and they are just looking for some insight. Locutus_1 has ase training and that is great, but I bet they never had a motorized bike in the classroom. Maybe you should keep your laughter to yourself and only speak up when you have something helpful to say.
That's because small engines have very very little to do with ASE certs. A member who uses his ASE certs to back up what he thinks he knows about small engines is a joke, at which I will laugh heartily at. Maybe if you knew the backstory behind this disagreement, you would agree. Maybe if you knew anything about ASE, you would agree. As it is, you're just butting in rudely with a response that actually supports my argument, which judging by your tone you didn't intend to do :rolleyes:

Maybe you should go back to answering your phone when customers call, fulfilling orders, and leave the forum responses to people who are in touch.