Felt 1903 Nearly Done

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Been posting build updates in the "Introduce Yourself" forum but it's taking me so long to finish that it just doesn't seem like the appropriate place to post anymore. Bike isn't done but getting close. Still need to (re) mount the headlight, finish the wiring, and install the reworked layback seat post. Also looking at saddle bags and full fenders but that can happen later. Most recent stuff would be the Abraham Linkage fork and the headset / stem, and rebuilt the engine with a new cylinder, plenum, and carb. Took advantage of having the motor apart to repaint and file the aluminum bits. Posting tonight since I just got it running again.

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
looking really nice !!!
all good things take time
the forks and all the little details set it off
you will like those Serfas Drifter tires (I haven't had mine long, but like the feel ;))

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks azbill. I keep telling myself that quality takes time but mostly it's just lack of experience. I'm so close to being done I can hardly stand it. Worked on it yesterday at 6:00AM while trying to shake a migraine. Today the layback seat post went back on, I made a bracket for the headlight and I got a lot of the wiring completed. The tires are actually Conintental Town & Country but have a very similar tread profile. I like them a lot more than the quick bricks that were on there.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
One you say. Let me know what your plans are for it. The cylinder head in the photo looks pretty amazing although it looks like it's made to be used with 8mm studs and I have the 6mm in mine.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Made a bracket and got the headlight mounted. Getting the wiring done is a one step forward, two steps back sort of thing. All I have handy is cut up sections of extension cords and the cord from an old vacuum cleaner so all of the wires are lack, green, and white. Only takes a few interruptions to lose track of which ones are which.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Added a Nirve Street Sweeper rear fender and tweaked the wiring a bit. Need to mess with the jets pretty soon I think. The engine stutters a bit in the mid-range. Either that or the E-Clip. Still to go: I have a pair of Nirve Mini Skirt fenders on order and I'm planning to put the rear on the front. Also considering a fog light since I have access to a 900 lumen LED and a 5 3/3" reflector.

Anyway this is where I'm at and the old bike is one of many that are serving as inspiration and in this case is the reference for the front fender with a skirt.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Didn't intend for this to turn into a build thread! Seems like every time I think I'm about done there's one or two more little things I'd like to do. I'm going to call this basically done knowing I need to wrap up a few things like the battery box and making the front fender more secure. Anyway, basically done.

Attachments

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I did get my hands on a MM Billet Clutch Cover but I'll need to modify it a little for it to work on my engine. Looks nice though so it won't just sit on the bench for long. Also swapped out the up on the downside bars for big cruiser bars. Could have just switched the originals back over but I wanted something a little bigger. Another score was a Puch head. It was cheap but needed a lot of clean up. I thought about painting it and might still but I kind of like the patina. So then now I'm about done....

Attachments

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
sweet ride i love the look i have a schwinn jaguar on its second motor now "GT-5 is junk" is there a power difference between the new slant heads and the punch head?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I haven't had a chance to run a slant plug head on my 48cc. They're just not as available as they are for the 66cc. I'd like to give a head designed for this motor a whirl, that is other than the stock head. Some things improved, some didn't with the Puch. The improved cooling helps it overall and the motor is really smooth through the mid- band but it still stutters a little at WOT. Re-jetting the carb seems to be the key there. Im all about comfort cruising so sufficient torque to get me over the moderate hills and smooth riding in the mid-rand is great by me.

And thanks by the way. Ian having a lot of fun!

Harold

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i have some steep hills around my parents house im happy with the slant head on my 66cc but you could never have to much power when you are talking about a 2 stroke