most ignored gearbox for four stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Ksw

Jul 11, 2009
Texas
Dax sells it and I think its very common in China.
Seems to be the cheapest and very simple. Two sprockets, a chain (or two) in a case (with some gear oil?)

I'd like to know the pros and cons
is it noisy?
easy to pedal with it?

anybody:)

Kev
Lurker of the year 2008, 2009, 2012

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From what I have read the DAX chain box is fairly good quality. Other than the outward appearance it has nothing in common with the dreaded Hoot chain box. DAX's is actually reliable.
I myself do not like the idea of a chain primary on a bicycle though. I prefer a belt.
This might have something to do with my knowledge and experiences with Harley-Davidsons though.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Norton BSA Triumph all used a wet chain primary drive
seen many more problems caused by power shifting the trans...aka WOT shifting without using the clutch BLOWING up the trans and scattering parts all over the road then a busted primary chain thats serviced and checked as it should be

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
if designed and built correctly with no shortcuts it is possible to make them last a long time

double or triple roller chain...not using two POS made in china chains as a shortcut
the correct properly made and hardened sprockets
more then one bearing on a shaft so it does not wallow out the holes
should be a bearing on each end of the shaft
and seal it all up and run it in oil
yes they make clutches you can run in oil

Ksw

Jul 11, 2009
Texas
From what I have read the DAX chain box is fairly good quality. Other than the outward appearance it has nothing in common with the dreaded Hoot chain box. DAX's is actually reliable.
I myself do not like the idea of a chain primary on a bicycle though. I prefer a belt.
This might have something to do with my knowledge and experiences with Harley-Davidsons though.
I like the belt drive too,but the best benefit (for me) is that their quiet...
not that that matters on a Harley.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've had a belt-drive motorized bicycle running through a chain jackshaft for almost 2 years now. 1 belt and 3 chains, can get interesting.

It's always been quiet..well, when the motor's running. Can't hear the chains then lol

The jackshaft bearings are usually where trouble starts...

Ksw

Jul 11, 2009
Texas
if designed and built correctly with no shortcuts it is possible to make them last a long time

double or triple roller chain...not using two POS made in china chains as a shortcut
the correct properly made and hardened sprockets
more then one bearing on a shaft so it does not wallow out the holes
should be a bearing on each end of the shaft
and seal it all up and run it in oil
yes they make clutches you can run in oil
This post rules out the cheapie china one...
sigh, china is like the international lowest common denominator

Ksw

Jul 11, 2009
Texas
I've had a belt-drive motorized bicycle running through a chain jackshaft for almost 2 years now. 1 belt and 3 chains, can get interesting.

It's always been quiet..well, when the motor's running. Can't hear the chains then lol

The jackshaft bearings are usually where trouble starts...
I was wondering about the noise...thanks.
My motorcycle chain comes in loud in clear when I coast.

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles
It's easy to pedal and is alot quieter than the rear chain. It uses thick grease. When I opened the cover, the grease was packed in one small spot, so I spread it on the dual chain and sprockets. It gets warm but not hot. Seems to work ok.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I've had the Dax dual chain box for two years now. I changed out the regular #25 chains for HD chains from Electric Scooter Parts, and then greased it up really good. I haven't had a problem at all. You can stick a mouse pad on the outer cover with some high temp glue, which I did at first. Now I'm in the process of creating a brushed metal look using sand paper and a Dremel!

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i stretched the chain pretty good with a really heavy bike and me (200lbs) up some really steep hills...ill be getting some half link pcs and hd chain for it..... thanx tad bit typsy for the source

(ive got a freind who has put a ton of miles on his dax box and has had no problems...and well to be honest he is pretty rough on it)

ive torn this thing down to bare parts...its a decent unit...especially for the price...i like the quality of bearings and such in it....

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i stretched the chain pretty good with a really heavy bike and me (200lbs) up some really steep hills...ill be getting some half link pcs and hd chain for it..... thanx tad bit typsy for the source
(ive got a freind who has put a ton of miles on his dax box and has had no problems...and well to be honest he is pretty rough on it)

ive torn this thing down to bare parts...its a decent unit...especially for the price...i like the quality of bearings and such in it....
That looks like a single chain box.
I thought that Dax was selling a double chain box?

How many miles did that much chain slop develop in?

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i think the old ones were double chain,,,,this is the trans from the inframe trans setup...with the pitbike chain etc...i dd that in about 100 miles....but like i mentioned...my bike weighs a ton...ive been keeping up with 99 pred's and im a kite lol...im sure some hd chain will solve the issue no sweat....if your not touring...ie pulling a heavy load...or riding a heavy bike and weigh 200lbs plus...while mashing...uphill...chasing a pack of predators you will be totally fine...if the afor mentioned is the case...a couple bucks worth of hd chain (ill be trying the halflinks out too) will get you sorted out.......

im also in testing at the moment for making a tensioner for these boxes in conjunction with dax....depending on my results their may be a tensioner setup avail for this in the future...the puck idea works ok....but ive got a much better setup in r&d

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
This is how I added an idler to my box
10-32 tap into cover with nut on each side locking everything in place
and a 3/16 Id by 1/2 inch od rubber hose auto grade seems to be
working fine just remember you don't want it to tighten chain just
take up slack!
Oh and I would have posted a pic of gearbox but it seems I've posted it
in another subject and they won't let me repost it here, ewwww!
I'm in trouble now LOL

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
This is how I added an idler to my box
10-32 tap into cover with nut on each side locking everything in place
and a 3/16 Id by 1/2 inch od rubber hose auto grade seems to be
working fine just remember you don't want it to tighten chain just
take up slack!
Oh and I would have posted a pic of gearbox but it seems I've posted it
in another subject and they won't let me repost it here, ewwww!
I'm in trouble now LOL
All you have to do to re-post a pic is click "Edit"
in the file location on your PC, and just change the size slightly. I do it all the time