from walmart cruiser to......whatever this is lol

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
This bike started life as a huffy cranbrook. While the frame is still unaltered and this is still a Cranbrook, the ONLY original components are the frame and front wheel. Rear wheel is custom, handlebars and crank are from a mountain bike, and the gooseneck is from a grantsport circa 1970. This bike isnt new, in fact its two years old. this is just the latest incarnation and the one that I think i am happiest with so far. I think it looks sort of early streetbike/cafe-ish. only thing missing is a suspension front end, and thats gonna have to wait till I can find one for free or really cheap. but here is a couple pics anyway. thoughts and comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
This bike started life as a huffy cranbrook. While the frame is still unaltered and this is still a Cranbrook, the ONLY original components are the frame and front wheel. Rear wheel is custom, handlebars and crank are from a mountain bike, and the gooseneck is from a grantsport circa 1970. This bike isnt new, in fact its two years old. this is just the latest incarnation and the one that I think i am happiest with so far. I think it looks sort of early streetbike/cafe-ish. only thing missing is a suspension front end, and thats gonna have to wait till I can find one for free or really cheap. but here is a couple pics anyway. thoughts and comments welcome.
Dang BBB I bet you could cross thr USA and half way back on that tank :) Nice Set up!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
thanks. actually if I fill the tank I can go about 200 miles, but I rarely fill it. its a two gallon tank, and I usually put a gallon at a time. if i fill it, it sloshes and spills out. its an old yamaha 3 wheeler tank thats about as old as me. the brake light is also yamaha equipment. its a turn signal that I made into a brake light. since I changed the pedal gear, she rides like glass.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
here are some brand new pics. just painted the bike flat black today, and also recently added shock forks and a different headlight, but this headlight is soon to be replaced by another.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
thats a pretty heavy chain actually. 3 feet long and probably weighs 5 pounds. it was the heaviest chain i could get at lowe's. the lock is case hardened steel. no one has messed with my bike yet, at least successfully. lived in this neighborhood since december, and its still sitting right out front lol. i chain it up to the same sign every day.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I ordered a new headlight last night from wonderful creations on ebay. its 2 super bright led's, 270 lumens, has a built-in voltage regulator, and is a sealed unit for weather resistance. $17, plus 5 for shipping. estimated delivery is on or before july 16th. when i get it and put it on my bike, i will post pics and report on how good it works. gonna run it straight off the white wire.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Got my new headlight today. Got it mounted and hooked up to a toggle switch I mounted on my handlebars. Later, after it gets dark, I will take it for a short ride to see if I am happy with the brightness, and also post pictures. So far, I am pretty happy with it, although it is much smaller than I imagined it being lol. It works well with the toggle switch I had laying around. I can't start the bike with the light on. I imagine that is due to it having a voltage regulator and being a 6v light, the magneto isn't quite producing 6v right when I go to start it. Once the bike is started, the light turns on and off just fine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So here are a few pics of the new headlight. Not quite sure how much I like it yet, although it is very bright, not sure that the light will reflect off traffic signs like my old one did. I may end up mounting the light in a different place on the bike for better visibility. Also, because I am running it straight off the white wire, it does rob spark at times. This is because it has a voltage regulator, and it is constantly trying to draw 6v. When the bike is starting and sometimes when taking off, the rpm's of the engine are not high enough to produce 6v, and the light kills spark completely. I have to compensate for this by starting the bike with the light off and also shutting the light off when coming to a stop and turning it back on after taking off again. Its still a good light for the price and the way its made.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Ummm......no. I choose to run my headlight off the white wire so that I can AVOID using batteries. its bad enough my brake light runs off 4 aa batteries, but i dont really worry about it, since the light is only on when im braking. i have actually had the same batteries in my brake light for about 3 months, and they arent even rechargeable. but no, thank you, i dont want a headlight that runs off batteries. my headlight is already wired into a switch that is connected to my engine, and i have no desire to run it off batteries. i specifically bought a headlight with a built-in voltage regulator so that I COULD run it off the white wire. I am happy with it. i dont do a lot of night riding currently, so this is more of a "just in case i need it" type deal, as well as a legal thing. pennsylvania requires bicycles to have head and taillights, which i have. so i dont need a headlight running on batteries.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Let us know how well it worked at night, also can you tell me how deep it is. I might be able to mount one of these inside my carbide light, that would be great! I have one of creations mini-gen 6v coils on my bike and it works great for my tail light and eliminates the issue with spark etc..

Last edited:

Grinder

Jun 28, 2012
New Mexico USA
Ok but I thought it might be a good idea to let the magneto charge the batteries. That way you could use a toggle switch to break the connection with the magneto and still have light. Plus the light would stay consistently bright when in use. But if you are not ridding much at night then like you I wouldnt worry about it.