HS Friction Drive Problem

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I agree, happy...

it does look like the clutch drum is welded on the shaft.

I would volunteer to do the welding, gratis... it's really no prob at all cuz I got the tig machine... Only prob is the freight.
Cost of shipping two ways is probably just not worth it???
Best
rc
Thanks for the offer Rusty. I'll just use it threaded onto the shaft and see how things go. If it blows up, I'll get another mounting bracket from DAX. :)
I will probably go through and blue Locktite everything before I go on any serious rides.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
lol good thing i only spent $6 for the pully. if i had finished it i would have been going in reverse. forget this im going with the gearbox.

cheersxct2

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
could mount the engine on the other side? hmm
On this kit, the other side of the friction drive bracket is shorter, so there may not be enough room to drill the holes for the engine mounting bolts.
You would need one like DAX or Staton sells with both sides equal. Then you could mount the engine on the right hand side and make it work with the belt or chain drive.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yes, the Dax friction drives are machined so that you can run the engine on either side, in case you want front wheel drive. Front wheel drive can help a lot if you carry heavy cargo (rear rack) or go through wet or sandy conditions a lot (pedal rear plus engine front=2 wheel drive).

Contact Lowracer on the forum. He likes building belt-drives especially front wheel drive. I am sure he could give you info about pulleys and belts. He has one bike with a front engine, a belt drive on a friction drive type rack, with the pulley turning a duplicate front rim that is mated to the tire rim.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Anyone have updates on how that 80ccmotorboys engine kit holds up?

I'm a student, and tight on a budget and looking to get a friction drive for my aluminum frame mtb for commuting. The route is mostly flat, and my speed doesn't need to go over 25. Would this be a good fit?

I use my 66cc china girl for off roading and going fast. I'm just looking for a 4 stroke friction for the colder weather. My budget is 250. Including extra parts. I'm thinking of getting the 80ccmotorboys friction kit, and a gas tank from Staton.

I'd go with dax, but I don't have that kind of money due to all my school (college) expenses.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
It's a nice little kit. Mine is holding up well.

I like the Dax mounting bracket a little better, but the 80ccmotorboys kit is very good for the price.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
How many miles do you have (estimate)?

Did the kit work better once you added the more secure rods to hold it on the tire?
As far as mileage, I can't really say. I don't use it every day for transportation, just for playing around. Not saying that I couldn't use it as a daily transport, it's just too hot here for me to want to be out in the sun that long. I ride on cooler days, or evenings. I might guesstimate my miles to be under 300 or so.

The brackets definitely helped. The single rod may have worked, but I didn't know it had to be drilled to bolt the mounting lever through it. The double brackets help to keep even pressure on the tire, and that probably helps with the traction.

You could probably get by with the single rod, and maybe yours will even come drilled. If not, you can drill it out yourself to mount the lever. My clutch drum didn't come mounted, and would not fit the shaft, but I noticed that there was a little thread damage, so I cleaned the threads and it went on great.

If you do go with this kit, and have any questions, feel free to ask, but it's so simple that you probably won't have any need to. They're definitely not as fussy as the CG kits!

You will need some kind of extra fuel tank! I just carry 2 30 oz MSR fuel bottles, and I do fine with that for now.

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
If I remember correctly, it took around 2 weeks. There was a delay with Fedex or something.

They really are a nice, dependable little engine, and I think you will like it.

I thought about running both engines on my bike, the 2 stroke for speed, and have the 4 stroke on there for when the other breaks down. I've just been too busy with other projects lately to put the 2 stroke back on.

cvlt1

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I don't know what sort of spacers came with the quick release skewer, but
if they are nylon, they'll tend to slip. I collect bit of aluminum tubing for various
project. (thrift store crutches, etc.) I took a bit the same i.d. as the o.d. of
the nylon spacers and cut pcs. 1/16" longer than the nylon. Using a clamp, I
squeezed the spacers inside the alu. When tightened, the alu grips the side of the
channel far more effectively than the nylon.(FYI)