Any Puch Experts Out There?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I'm currently in the middle of my first build, a 66cc China Girl, but after a lot of reading here, I decided that I probably won't be happy with it in the long run.

So, I found a running Puch e50 engine, and will be using it for my next build.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about them, and need some technical advice.

Do we have any Puch folks here, or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
There's nothing wrong with the engine that I know of. It was running before I bought it (I saw a video clip). I paid less than I would have for a China Girl, so I'm happy with that.

So, it's a 1977 Puch e50, and I have a few questions before I start:

1. There's a cluster of wires coming out. What wire does what (coil, charging, etc.)?

2. I know that normally 2 strokes can be mounted in any direction, but this one has a transmission with fluid. Does orientation matter? Does it have to be mounted horizontally, or can it be diagonal in the frame?

(I added some pictures to show what I mean. The engine is just sitting in the frame for illustration.)

3. Can the e50 be pedal started, or is there another method?

I will be putting it in my Schwinn Frontier mountain bike.

Thanks, and I will look into the moped army website.

Attachments

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
There is no problem mounting it like you show in picture one.
Don't know about the wiring, suppose you could spin it over without the plug in, via the crankshaft and look for voltage at the wires.
There is a lever on the engine that engages the trans to start the engine when it is pulled. So you will need to use the stock lever or adapt a brake lever.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
That engine brings back some wonderful memories for me. Had a Puch Maxi Sport i believe it was called. Fancy mag wheels and a chrome exhaust pipe running all the way to the back. I though i was all that plus a bag of chips cruising around. Of course i was only 14 at the time. Sorry about the trip down memory lane.
You could pull the flywheel and look at the wires coming off the coils, points and condenser, might help take some of the guess work out of things.

Grasshopperlegs

May 19, 2012
Indiana
Ok First of all this engine is a 49cc and they way it is made it has to be turned over by a peddle start like some tomos mopeds. All the wires are color coded so you tell where they go. If you go on Moped army you can down load the e50 engine and see what wire goes where. I have worked on these engines for years and trying to put these engines on a bike is a little strange to me. It has to set level because it has engine oil in it just like a car. It uses auto trans fluid F-type. This thing has a clutch to start it and another kind to make it go all in the same area. It isn't easy. With a puch moped you have to start going and pull in the clutch to make it fire then the other clutch will start to engage and make the sprocket on the left side of the engine turn over. I hope I am not making this to hard but I would just try to sell it on Ebay or something like that and get a motor that would fit your bike a lot better.