8 HP Briggs Pusher build!

GoldenMotor.com

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Well the only way to get the cost any lower is to have you include your credit card number with your reply. Lol

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can't find the link but Dave31 did a build way back that was uber cool and think it cost him 14 bucks or some thing. Was one of my all time favorite builds. The engine was what I called "saddle mounted" Solved so many issues and simplified things. And cost $14! I think the cheapest build I have done was $200. Junker bike and a china girl.

LOL, this is a coupla/few years later and trying a similar build has made it to 2 projects from the top. (I have focus issues)

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Ha! That makes me the king of cheap! My first pusher cost about $11 and this one will cost about the same.
Scored my next gas tank today. An old empty fire extinguisher that I will paint blue and add a nos sticker. The old ones are too leak prone and were a pain to fill. This one i can fill at the pump. Not to mention i wont need to use any two stroke oil with the briggs.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
I cant wait to get it up and runnin! My guess is that its gonna be one frightfull, wheel spinning, brain bending grin maker. Or as we like to say, good fun! I think the chain on the bicycle will end up as a rusty decoration of sorts. Lol

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Looks like you could easily make an idler/belt manual manual clutch. Way cheaper than a centrifugal clutch and in my experience, less problems with maintenance, and full controll of the drivetrain is a great plus too. No slipping clutch when tryin to cruise 10-15mph changed my mind about cent, clutches. You could even do a 2 speed with a little figuring, like I did on my fricton drive build . Pic in my next post.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Back to the foot "clutch" . I think that I am going to go the mechanical route instead of a cable. It would use a push rod up to the seat post where it would rotate a rod with some swivel joints and a slip yolk and back to a push rod on the trailer. Am I a demented pervert of used parts? Sick puppy? Maybee. I just march to the beat of a different guitar. If you managed to wrap you mind around that one let me know what you think.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Looks like you could easily make an idler/belt manual manual clutch. Way cheaper than a centrifugal clutch and in my experience, less problems with maintenance, and full controll of the drivetrain is a great plus too. No slipping clutch when tryin to cruise 10-15mph changed my mind about cent, clutches. You could even do a 2 speed with a little figuring, like I did on my fricton drive build . Pic in my next post.
that is exactly what i am doing. mainly cuz i have the parts on hand. lol

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
I was wondering. Has anyone used those wheel borrow wheel bearings on a jack shaft with any luck? The jack shaft will turn about 2000 rpm with a lot of power. Also I would use two bearings at each end of the shaft. Would they be instant toast or just future toast?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Not instant toast but very soon. Those are low speed, very un precison bearings designed for heavy loads at walking speed.
For just a few bux more each, you can buy precison sealed bearings with a snap ring on the edge, for the same dimentons and flange as the wheelbarrow bearings.Do it right once, or do it twice for at least triple the price and trouble.

Last edited:

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Yeah, sorta figured as much. Just need to find a place that sells them. We have a small napa in town. Ill check there first. Dan is gonna have a good lol over me blowin the budget on this one but its better than having to use those offset foot rests to get back home!

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Hey, since my new fake nos bottle fuel tank is made of aluminum. Would it look better if it were painted nos bottle blue or should I hit it with the buffer and polish it before I put a nos sticker on it? You guys make the call on this one!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would take that bottle and chuck it in a lathe or jigged drillpress and sand it while spinning down to 120 grit for a nice machined look, then immediatly de-grease with carb cleaner, and clearcoat it with clear engine enamel from NAPA.
Finished my dunebuggy tanks on my experimental trike airplane like that 6 years ago, still lookin good.
DSC_0410.JPG