FINALLY my bike works! Then it died.

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Welp, I got my kit a month ago and finally, I can ride without the chain falling off! No motor though.

I had it running when I pop the clutch, but it would not idle.

It will run pretty good, bogs at higher speeds.

Is it the carb or maybe the spark plug? I know barely anything about engines, even after studying so much about these bikes.

P.S. I have a grubee Skyhawk GT5

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Alright lets try rule rule some things out. Is fuel leaking from the back of the carb or around the back of the motor?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok I suspect your motor is flooding out and simply getting too much fuel.

Things that cause this are a lack of inline filter to the carb can introduce a crumb of debree ''trash'' into the needle valve on the carb float. Think of the carb float like a upside down toilet valve lol.

A plastic float full of fuel. Not floating anymore.

Upon inspection and you have a nice inline fuel filter not just the one that comes with the tank pet cock. You may need to just do a float adjust ment. This link should help you get more familiar with the carb and general terminology. http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Ok, so I opened the carb, moved the pin thing that attaches to the throttle so that it would open more.

It still wouldn't idle, but I could do it "manually" by pulling the throttle a little while the clutch is pulled.

Later though, right when I was running out of gas, it idled by itself without my hand on the throttle at all..........Coincidence???

And, my main concern right now, I bog at the top end. There is a certain sweet spot though. Is this normal?