kit advice

GoldenMotor.com

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I am buying my bike engine kit tonight or tomorrow.
It is a SkyHawk Pull Start, Centrifugal Clutch, GT5-GGG-2 66cc motor I am buying it from BFG, it's not called that there but its the motor.
I want advise for when I get it in like a week what mods or things should I do so it lasts.

I have heard of using Opti-2 or amsoil saber oil to help.

this is a quote from Russell (I removed some of the material from the weights. Now it grabs at a higher rpm. This makes it operate much better.) so mod the clutch on the motor

On this motor adding a key way to the clutch

any more advise???

I am stockpiling it so when I get it I can go right to work, thanks

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my advice, after reading some of your other posts about performance, is set the kit up stock, learn the ins-and-outs, the problems, etc, then build another bike in the future with the knowledge and skill you've learned from the first bike. or modify it as you go, one thing at a time.

too many new people hope to go all crazy with performance mods with poor results.

i do recommend opti-2, though. i use it on all my bikes.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, you will have enough fun just getting the thing on your bike and running straight.

Worry about performance later.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I understand not to go all out at first but i want to know stuff that will help the engine run longer ex. the oil if it is better quality the parts wear less over time but on this motor you really half to add the key way or the clutch will most likely slip and rip the shaft up.
just can you guys name stuff that will get my engine if i maintain it and don't crash it will get it to go like 2000 miles or whatever

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
When you're breaking in don't use synthetic - use a good 2 cycle dino oil that's not universal (in other words, isn't designed at all to be ever put into an outboard boat motor). After you break in, then you're good to run opti-2 or any other synthetic you desire to.

Personally, I'd rather go with a friction clutch at first and put in the centrifugal (if I ever wanted a centrifugal on my HT). Then if the centrifugal fails - you can swap over immediately your friction clutch.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The engine from BGF may be similar to the grubee ggg engine, but I guarantee you its not the same engine. BGF doesn't sell grubee parts or engines. He sells generic off-brand parts. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just thought I would point out the difference. I myself recently bought an off-brand engine, although not from BGF, I am quite happy with it. My advice to you would be to not even get an engine with a centrifugal clutch. Especially not for your first build. I had a centrifugal clutch for my 3rd engine, and the clutch failed after riding it only a few times. Trust me, you will be throwing $200 down the toilet if you buy that engine. Buy an engine with a manual clutch. It will be cheaper and way more reliable (not saying the engine itself is more reliable, it may or may not be, but the manual clutch is a lot easier to fix or adjust).

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You've also got some serious work into your engines as well, don't go thinking you're a Sunday rider.

Do you use standard ratio with opti 2 when breaking in or leaner?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup, 100:1 from day one. i've built stock, right off the boat bikes too, with no mods except cleaning up the ports on the intake and exhausts, and those bikes love opti 2 also. i even include a bottle of it when i sell a bike, and recommend it to everyone i install motors for.

i wouldn't be so passionate about it if it didn't work. it's not making me any money or anything.

racing fan

Apr 17, 2011
Michigan
I understand these need lots of TLC but i got the tools and time
you guys think I should not go with the cent. clutch just go regular

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Get a regular engine with the friction clutch, and get the centrifugal clutch as a separate add-on.
If you get an engine with the CF already installed, you don't get the small bevel gear or the Woodruff key for it.
If you buy separately, you get the small bevel gear and Woodruff key already installed, and you can add the CF to it later on.

I have the CF on mine, 50 miles per day on average, so for this month alone looking at more or less 1400 miles on the CF with no problems.