Engine Will Not Start / High Pitch Exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Quetzal

May 19, 2011
Alaska
I was riding just fine when the engine bogged down and died. I checked the usual carb settings and everything seemed to be fine. When I tried to start it up again it sounded much higher pitch in the exhaust and wouldn't start. I have taken everything apart, cleaned it and checked for leaks. I have spark and gas, there is air flow comming from the exhaust but it still won't start. Seals look good. I am lost as to what to do now. Any suggestions?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm only guessing here but is the small screw that holds the baffle/catalytic converter still in on the muffler? I'm thinking the baffle slipped down blocking something....maybe :p

driftology

Jun 22, 2010
campbell, ca
I get that high pitch sound too on a cold start. Started to get it about 50 miles into the break in. Still runs fine though. Hope that sound isn't bad

Quetzal

May 19, 2011
Alaska
The exhaust is fixed/welded together, no parst to adjust. I soaked the muffler in de-greaser and washed out a few particulates. The high pitch sound is louder now... and it is present with the muffler removed. Still no engine start, hmmm... where next?

Quetzal

May 19, 2011
Alaska
The high pitch noise is more of a squeek with the muffler off, if that helps. Sounds like the piston is squeeking as it moves... I just checked spark and fuel again, it's got both.