Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Oh no!

If you bought it over to me I would have it running in
half an hour at the most.
Hey, how much will you sell it for?
I'll talk to dad about that....

I also know my way around an engine and had much success.... I'm assuming something is VERY wrong with this POS..... Something like a Major assembly problem..Maby the rings are crap. Just not enough compression.

It's just BS, because we assumed we could put it on there and it would work...not turn into a major feat that I had to practically rebuild a brand NEW motor!

I sure wish Yamaha would make an engine like this....I'd rather pay more for quality.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Try the starting fluid trick. Spray it down the throat of the carburetor. If it doesn't fire off with that ether then there is a problem. Of course there's a problem or you'd be riding by now.
New CDI, new magneto, confirmed spark and you have fuel. The choke is open and the engine still won't fire.
I'm going back to that magneto rotor that was sloppy on the shaft. I think we're looking at an ignition timing problem.
I asked earlier in this thread but didn't get an answer. Is there a warranty with the seller? Have you contacted him and explained your problems?
Too bad you're 2000 miles away. I'd love to have a go at that thing.
Tom
We got the kit almost a year ago I think...We just got around to getting it in a running mode the last few weeks. Si I doubt this is something we can return now.

I'l ltry ether....I mean Why the **** not?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
BTW the spark STILL looks weak to me and I get a slight orange kernal too. I know that isn't right, but I installed a NEW CDI AND Magneto today!!
Maybe the magnet itself is weak, or the north and south poles on it are reversed?

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I actually now have excellent spark and it's blue as blue can be and steady. So I took it back out and it started up and put putted for at least 15-20 seconds at idle with clutch pulled in. It sat there and ran. It didn't run strong, but rather like it was running out of gas and no response hardly from the throttle, very bogged out feeling, then died. I thought it was about to take off...got excited then blah. I even gave dad a thumbs up at one point lol. By far the most success I've had so far.

It wouldn't start up again like that....just the typical put put after rolling for 50 feet so I put it back in the shop swearing up a storm while rubbing my worn out legs.

I think the carb is junk....It starts sort of and has a nice blue spark...it can't be the timing now. Now it seems it starves for gas.

I'm so fickin sick of this.... It's a joke we have to do so much to track down problems in a new engine and saying "it's the builder" pffftttt I don't feel like working on a new engine like it was 100 years old and needs rebuilding. It should kinda run out of the box...

Pure BS.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Make sure your cheap POS petcock isn't plugged.

Did you check the inside of the tank for rust?

My 2 year old brand new tank was half covered with rust.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Dang it, I was hoping for a different answer.

Check for air leaks at the fitting, try the needle at all settings, make sure your jet is tight, check the intake gasket to make sure it's not blocking the intake tube, make sure your oil ratio isn't /too/ rich, make sure the choke isn't slipping into the closed position, check the delivery needle, tang and float, and I agree to check the petcock filter - even both filters.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Make sure your cheap POS petcock isn't plugged.

Did you check the inside of the tank for rust?

My 2 year old brand new tank was half covered with rust.

Gas runs out of that thing like me taking a piss after a case of Genny....No rust and all I got out of this miserable experience is worn out legs and a disappointed father that looks at me like WTF? running yet?

I don't give a f'ck that they are cheap....It seems they need a special massage and persuasion to even attempt to run after replacing **** you should never have to replace.

Logging off now before I get my hammer out and actually kill that damn thing.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Dang it, I was hoping for a different answer.

Check for air leaks at the fitting, try the needle at all settings, make sure your jet is tight, check the intake gasket to make sure it's not blocking the intake tube, make sure your oil ratio isn't /too/ rich, make sure the choke isn't slipping into the closed position, check the delivery needle, tang and float, and I agree to check the petcock filter - even both filters.

I did all that....everything.....and then some.

I'm officially done....it's over.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sometimes, the hammer just isn't big enough. :(

Can't say we didn't try, guys. Thanks for all your help that was offered to Eric. It's really unfortunate that one of us doesn't live closer to him. I really wanted to see him and his dad enjoy that bike.
Tom

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Have you tried reversing the leads of the cdi and magneto, my frieds bike willnot work unless you wire it backwards
All that should be done at the factory.
It's stupid to have to figure out an engine that won't start and it's brand new.
Hey, I know some things would need fixing, but man, this is just ridiculous. Lap and shave the heads? new gaskets/hardware and if the carb is any good is a 50/50 chance.

Just so frustrating fartin around with something you have no idea if it's going to work no matter what you do to it and have a father waiting on me to get it going so he can ride it on Sundays to the diner in the mornings. So he can enjoy life a little.

Well I couldn't do it and had to tell him so last night.

Just one huge mess that I'm going to try and forget.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
P.S. Mom and I have been talking about getting one of the all built bikes with an engine that is proven....Been looking at the Phantom bikes...

It would be a great father day thing. Mom can go half and I the other half on a great bike ready to go.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Also thanks for all the help...I'm just not as dedicated to this as all you, but I did put in my fair share of work on it. I just draw the line to having to tear open a NEW engine..I don't mind the other stuff, but I'm, not pulling heads or pistons....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Eric, my personal suggestion.............

I just put a BGF slant head 66cc on a bike last week that had been sitting in a box in my shop for over a year, I didnt do anything to it internally, never pulled the head, only put a Manic ported intake on it and made up a not so good exhaust for its breakin miles, this engine was put on the bike and I had it running and was riding it in about 3.5 hours, the bike already had a sprocket on the rear wheel and the throttle on the bars when I started but that was about it.

I said all of this to simply let you know that the problems you have had with that engine are not typical...... I have 4 engines and currently have 3 bikes running and they all started up the first time I popped the clutch after installing them on the bikes, and then I went for a ride down the road within minutes of them busting off for the very first time, and this is the typical story of these engines for the most of us.

If I were in your shoes I would go on ebay, look up BGF, buy just an engine ONLY for $80 + shipping mount it on that bike and start riding it that same day and I'll 99.9% Guarantee that would be the case if you did that very thing.......

That would be way cheaper than the prebuilt set up and probably just about as good for what you are wanting the bike for..........

Just my $.02 nothing more nothing less.........

just get an other engine and this time next week good ole dad will be riding his bike.........!

Sincerely, Shan

Also thanks for all the help...I'm just not as dedicated to this as all you, but I did put in my fair share of work on it. I just draw the line to having to tear open a NEW engine..I don't mind the other stuff, but I'm, not pulling heads or pistons....

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You can also always sell some parts off the main motor to cover the cost - (not the head obviously, but any other parts). Heck - clutch pads & ring, gaskets, cover plates, the piston and jug, bearings - that'd take a chunk out of it.