need help deciding what engine kit to purchase

GoldenMotor.com

pontiacfieroguy

Apr 21, 2011
knoxville tn
hi im mike and i am a complete noob when it comes to bikes. i picked up a huffy savanah at the local wallyworld today and am not sure what motor and other parts will work best for me. im quite a big guy at 6'4" 350+lbs and need a motor that will pull me without too much assistance from peddaling. i only need to go about 5-10 miles at a time but there are some small hills and no bike lanes in my area. which engine and sprokets will give me the ability to small hills and get up to 25-30mph? id like to keep it under 250 if possible seeing as im broke and just need the bike so i can get out and find work

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
350 lbs +.... your asking a lot from one of these motors. Find the lowest cost motor kit you can, most of the times eBay has the cheapest and basically these motors are the same. If the bike has 26" tires your bet bet is to get a larger rear gear than stock. For your bike, if it has 26" wheels, would probably be a 50 tooth. I'm running a 56 but I have 28" tires and speed is not a factor.

I'm going to suggest a 49cc and not a 66cc because the 49's run smoother, the 66's can be a little....rough.

What I'm suggesting can be had on eBay for $155 to $170 or so, leaving you with funds for any other part you might need.

The single best aftermarket part you can get is an expansion chamber. The one from Sick Bike Parts is a good one(I have one :) )

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
66s have more torque, which will help. dont buy the cheapest either, these engines are not the same (though in appearance they are for the most part)

my friend had one of these and it was great.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have the straight plug engine on one bike and the slant on another, the slant 66cc engine pulls much better and they are easier to fit on a bike that has limited space between top of engine and the top "duffle bag busting bar".

I have always got my engines from BGF on ebay and had very good luck with them, he is not known for perfect customer service by some but he has always answered my email and is a quick shipper, he also carries the 50T & 60T Sprockets and being a big fella like you said you are, you will be better served with probably a 50T rear sprocket, only problem with this for you will be that you will not be able to run in that 30MPH range with that large of sprocket, I'm gonna say maybe 25MPH tops and that wont be a comfortable cruising speed, comfortably will likely be in the 18-20MPH range.

If you want 30MPH i say build a pusher trailer with a 6.5hp Harbor freight engine, which are on sale for $99 right now, you may be able to get out for $250 either way if you have the tools and the know how and the pusher will get you where you want to be in the speed department if geared right and the 66cc China Girl kit will not, I run a 36T sprocket and only cruise comfortably at 30-32MPH and my other bike with a 41T cruises comfy. @ 26-27MPH and I way 200LBS.

Not trying to discourage you in any way but I'm trying to be realistic so you dont waist money you dont have on expectations you wont acheive with a china girl letting you go 30MPH with a set up for a big fella like yourself.

If i'm wrong on this info. I'm sure someone wil lsay so but I'm speaking from my personal experience with my personal engines, thats all I have to go by and my engines run very good and will not comfortably run a bike 30MPH with a 50T sprocket, they just wont do it.

Here's a link to a very simple pusher that might give you some ideas if your intersted, just don't go with that crappy NO flat soft gonna wear out real quick tire IMO.......

YouTube - Mike's 196cc push trailer demo these engine are NOT 8-9hp like the kid says on the vid stock, they are rated at 6.5hp, but thes enegine can be made to put out some serious power, I know because Ihave one that I built up, but even stock they produce loads of torque and will be ideal for a good pusher setup.

other links:

YouTube - Motorized bike trailer pushes bike 35 mph

YouTube - engine powered bike trailer = moped

Good luck on what ever you do, I wish you the best and just stay plugged in here on the forum and you will get lots of help on which ever project you decide on.

Peace

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
These third wheel motors are tripping me out. This totally the perfect system for a larger motor than can be actually loaded onto the bike. The mounting system actually seems very versatile, but each rack may have to be designed for the engine it goes with. It also makes for a long vehicle that is probably fairly awkward in certain circumstances. It still deserves support though.

Grubee Inc. should get to work on one of these...