Anybody want to trade a Whizzer or Simplex for a brass steam engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I have a solid brass steam engine. This isn't some crappy kit build but an actual 1800s solid brass steam engine that was used in a factory setting. Don't know what it was used for, but it is a very hefty engine and definately a working engine, not some for show toy. There is no name tag on the engine but I would put it right along side a Creators only better. Anyway, if anyone has any interest lets see what can be done.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hi Camlifter. Here are some shots of the engine. This engine dates back to the 1800s and was used in a factory or shop. It is not a kit built machine and was made for heavy, continous use. I just saw one of lesser quality sell on Ebay for over $2,000. I would like to trade this steam engine for a complete Simplex bike in running condition or for a restored Whizzer. Of course I would sell it outright also. Anyway here are the pics.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Camlifter I forgot the dimensions. It's about 20 inches long with a 10 inch flywheel. It has never been polished out since it wasn't made for display. It has a pressure relief valve on the piston chamber and cut off valves.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I just bought a Simplex in very good condition for less than 2K. I'm not looking for a show bike, but a running bike in decent condition. I saw one Ebay auction for a totally restored, complete Whizzer motor that went out for less than $650. This motor on a decent bike would still be less than this engine. I mentioned the other steam engine as a point of reference. This engine is all brass and will polish out to be a beautiful machine if that is what someone wishes to do. I am satisfied with it as it has always been. No there is no reverser on this machine.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Jim. I don't know the original use for this motor, but it was definately a commercial application. If it were a model or some such I'm sure it would have been polished and prettied up, but this engine shows signs of much use. Note the dents and dings on the flywheel. The brass under the slides and push rod show stains and there are general usage marks around the machine. I would think that a sewing machine would be easy work for this engine. From stains and marks on it I had envisioned use in a metal working area, but remembering when my Mom used to work in a textile mill those machines were all filthy except where they had to be clean.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I should have been more specific...by "line of sewing machines" I meant 50 or so machines being powered by the same small steam engine...Small engines were used a lot in the south by textile mills that were turning cotton into gold.

Period correct engines were typically sized to run many machines simultaneously through a series of jackshafts.

Engines that were used to power machine shops, or metal fab shops were quite large.

It would have been fine for powering several, (metal), punch presses...that's a possibility too.

Being that it isn't numbered or marked with any manufacturers' info ...I'm thinking it found a home in the south, and the textile industry.

As the civil war approached, many northern manufacturers left thier marque off of machinery that was headed south. They wanted the sale but not the paper trail...so to speak.

This period was a period of BIG competition between the northern machinery manufacturers...It was a matter of pride to boldly cast or forge thier name into thier machines.

I would dig into it a little more...you may own a rare piece!

There is a very good and, believe it or not, complete archive of early machinery and thier manufacturers that is based on the actual blueprints.

You can take accurate measurements of your engine, and the origin will be known.

Jim

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Jim, That is very good information about the machinery. I knew there was illegal trade between the north and southern business, but had not carried it thru to it's logical conclusion. The name tag has been removed from this machine and I wondered if if was done deliberately or if it had been damaged and fell off. I had not thought about this machine powering 40 or 50 sewing machines and had a prob wrapping my mind around using this to power one machine. Be kinda like dropping a huge V8 into a Pinto.
I too love antique motors and had several of the larger motors. The three largest were a 10 hp Fairbanks used to power a plant in Va and two Bessimers from Ky coal mines. The Bessimers had 16 inch pistons on a 24 inch travel and had 6 foot flywheels. I loved to watch those motors run and by putting a little oil in the exhaust pipe they would blow huge smoke rings. Those are all gone now and I am down to working on stuff I can pick up and walk around with :) I do have a collection of small DC motors from the 1880-90s period. LOL, If this keeps up we are going to have to start another site just for motors and Simplex cycles. Take care my friend :)