Roadmaster Project

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This is turning into a wonderful bike. Someday your kids will be all grown up and they'll talk about that bike their Dad made by hand. It is the stuff family legends are made of. If you raise your kids anything like you build your bike, you're a good dad.
SB

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I just spent the last hour and a half catching up on this build. As much time as I spend lurking around here I am very surprised that I missed this thread when it first started.

I am so glad you posted so many pics of the build process, you've given me so many ideas I've lost count. There are a few folks that post here, who I follow when they are working on something new. I will be watching this thread closely from now on.

Great looking bike being built, part time, by a full time father and husband. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Guys,

I have made a little more progress on the build and I thought I would post some pics. I finished making my tank! I leak tested it by pumping up with air and submerging it in water. I think I got all the leaks filled, but not completely sure because the gas cap was leaking a lot of air bubbles. I think I'm going to wait on painting it, in case there are any leaks and I need to re/braze the seams. My plan is to try putting gas in it without the tank sealer and try it out. If it leaks, I can clean it and re/braze, then I will use the tank sealer.

I also finally got the right size belts for the primary and secondary drive. And I also repainted and re-laced my front wheel so that I could use a higher quality drum brake hub.

All that is left is to hook up the throttle cable to the carb, run fuel line from the tank to the carb, and then get the engine started. I put on a different carb, so we'll see how that goes.

I wanted to figure out a kickstart, but for now I will just use a rope for pull starting.

Man, I just want to get this thing running and go for a ride! I think I am going to go with the no paint look for a while, as well as no fenders. I have been waiting so long, I just can't bear to tear it all apart and then spend 3 or 4 weeks sanding, priming, sanding, and painting all those parts. I think I'll take Sportscarpat's idea of just using WD 40 and a scotchbrite pad, to keep the rust away for now.

Someday I will make a tool kit box between the seatpost and rear tire, figure out a lighting system, put fenders on, put a drop kickstand on, and possibly go back to my leaf spring front fork.

Gilbert

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looking really nice. I love it. I quite like the bare look of it as well. Im doing the same with my bike. Keeping it bare metal for a while which will make any changes needed while testing much easier, and when you tire of that look you can always paint it for a change.

You must be close to getting it running which must be very exciting. Youve done an outstanding job and i cant wait to see how it goes. Good luck and keep us posted.

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
This is a very nice bike! I've been reading your thread a little here and there because I've been so busy but your bike is really coming out! I'm kind of at the same point you are at. I got my bike running and now I just want to ride it! There's still so much to do but I figure I can take my time and enjoy the bike for a while. It's taken me a year to get where I'm at and like you said there is still lights and other little details to add. I say you enjoy the bike a little too! We should set up a ride when you get your bike running! I'll show you the kickstart on my bike. Did you say you bought a kick start assembly? I just recently bought another one for the next build I do. Anyways keep the posts coming!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That gas tank could probably get you to Northern California without fillup:)

The exhaust does not have a muffler as stock, but I know from experience that the tube acts as a resonator and makes sound better. What can you say about the sound? Have it running at idle or at speed? Whats it like?

There are just slight bends and so I guess there is not too much worry of back pressure. I am having to re think the routing of a muffler pipe on my build, since I was going to run under a banana seat above the tire. I have to lower the seat too much to continue with that idea.

I think I can try running it to one side and down by the bottom bar of the rear fork like you have done. Once log ago I had a motor bike I used that corrugated conduit and on the end a tube muffler out under the banana seat.

It was nice on the ears and had much the same power. I know the corrugated stuff leaked out some, but it worked. It was a straight section and really could have been solid as the tubes you are using.

Cool looking machine!

Measure Twice

Tre_in_L.A.

May 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Gilbert. Super nice. This thing looks like it was just pulled out from under a tarp in grandpas shed. Love the BRIGGS. Don't worry about the length - the definition of an artist is someone who is NEVER satisfied with their creation. It's always a little more here, a little less there . . . . you know.

NICE JOB.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Briggsbiker, I would love to see your bike in person and go for a ride. I have not yet started up the engine, I need to leak test the tank just one more time before I put gas in it. But when I do get it running I'll let you know. I did buy a partial kickstart assembly, but I still have not found that little gear that would get mounted to the flywheel, maybe someday.

Measuretwice,

Like I said, I have not started the engine yet so I can't attest to the sound. I intend to make my own exhaust out of metal tubing, but I'm trying to get on the road, so using plumbing pipe was much faster. We'll see if it works.

Gilbert

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Gilbert,

Congratulations on your build. Just found this thread a few minutes ago and have not read it all, but what a great bike. I've had a similar timeframe on my worksman stretch. Just got it running last weekend and have some minor adjustments, but hope to get some quality riding in this weekend. I too have yet to mount my dropstand and need to get the fender mounts worked out, but that will come in time. Great job, it'll be great to see it completed someday. Good Luck, Dan

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I have a few more pictures of the build. I am going to try and start up the motor tonight. Hopefully, I will have a video of it running soon. I decided to change back to the leaf spring fork I made earlier. When I was adjusting the green springer fork to make the wheel sit straight, the fork arms bent much too easily, it seemed not strong enough. I think I will keep the unpainted look for a while so that I can enjoy actually riding this thing.

Attachments

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I got the motor started this evening! I made a video that is pretty shaky and not very good light quality, but here it is LINK

I will try and get a daytime video along with footage of a little ride up and down the street.

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
It sounds great! It started right up! It took me a while to figure out why mine wouldn't start. So have you figured out what kind of starting system you are gonna go with?