New engine kit wont run anymore?

GoldenMotor.com

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I looked through the forum and couldnt find anything exactally like this so i appolgise in advanced if i do double post.

I went on my first real ride today! i went out of my apartment, started the engine. I started to go down this hill going into campus and the engine was running at extremely high revs. I came down the hill, killed it, started it back up. It had extremely high idol. I was going it felt like 10-15 up hill with no gas. I adjusted the gas flow for idol and then this happened:

YouTube - MOTO PROBLAMO

I cant get it out of this slump. Can anyone tell me what this sounds like?

Thanks in advanced!

Mike

:-||

FIRST RIDE!!!!

YouTube - FIRST RIDE!!!!

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Have you tried backing out the idle screw ? How far out are your cable adjustment screws on the twist throttle and on top of the carb ? If they are too far out this can effect idle.

In your video it just sounds like its bogging out ? Have you checked for an air leak where the carb connects to the intake ?

How are you mixing your gas ? Whats the plug look like ?

Choke lever in the right position ? Up is on , down is off ?

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi,Mike.Sounds like your not getting enough fuel to keep it running.
You might have dirt plugged in the" in" tank filter so the fuel doesn't flow enough to supply the motor.
Did you clean the inside of the tank before you installed it on the bike?
These tanks can have a lot of junk in them out of the box!
I would shut of the petcock,then carefully remove the fuel line from the carb and stick it into a clear water bottle and turn on the petcock,does fuel flow in a pretty good stream?
If not you need to clean your tank.
I would drain the tank and remove it from the bike.remove the petcock,pour some hot soapy water with a bunch of small nuts into the tank plug the holes with a rag and shake the heck out of the tank.
I'd do this a few times,then rinse it out a few times and with an air hose blow it out untill dry.
Re-install every thing.I recommend an inline filter from the tank to carb! They are dirrectional.
Make sure your throttle cable housing doesn't have any kinks in it.Try to have as gradual bends as possible.
Next adjust the cable housing at the top of the carb.
I do this by adjusting the screw all the way into the carb.
Then twisting the throttle and leting it snap back I adjust it up gradually till the cable housing is snug on the adjuster,And the throttle has little slop.
Snug down the locking nut.I usually have about 3/16" of an inch of threads showing.
I then screw the idle screw all the way In by hand,and back out about three full turns.
Try to start again.
When it starts it might rev pretty high so as quickly as you can safely turn it out till it idles down to a little over stalling.
It might take several tries and if you can't adjust the idle quickly have your thumb ready on the kill button.
That's my advice if it makes sense to you use it. I hope i've helped with some pointers.Kip.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
All the info is really helping me out. I have the fule ratio they directed for break in periods. I was adjusting the carb idol and the air intake with the left and right screws on the carb. I am a total nube so I forgot which ones which. Both of them are turned all the way in now because I just gave up and went to go eat some dinner. I'm going to check the fule lines tomorrow and if I decide to clean it should I dump the gas or save it for the refill?

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
You have a CNS carb ? Both screws turned all the way in is bad. The one on the left , put at 1 turn out from all the way in. This is the mixture screw and it adjusts the fuel/air ratio. All the way in and its getting no air.

The screw on the right is the idle screw. Put this at 2 turns out from all the way in. Try and start it , if the idle is high , back this screw out alittle at a time till you have a low , steady RPM.

Dump the 16:1 and go with 32:1. Thats 4 ounces of 2 stroke oil to 1 gallon of gas. Probably about due for a new spark plug too cause a 16:1 mix will kill the kit plug in no time.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I think I ran the bike no more than an hour all together. What ratio should I run for the break in. Thanks for the carb specks. Im heading out to mess with the thing right now.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Just run it a good 32:1 maybe an ounce more. The thing is to be gentle with the rpms for the first couple tanks.

Its been 3 hours since you posted so hopefully your out riding ! Or breaking stuff in your garage with a hammer.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
The spark plug was BLACK! I scraped it off just for kits. Ran it. Runs like a dream. I'm gonna polish it with my dremmel and put some 32:1 plus 1 oz Thanks to r00t4rd3d. Thanks to all who helped!

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Cool. Keep an eye on your plug color. You wanna see a nice golden brown. If its white its burning too hot (very bad!) , getting too much air. Turn the mixture screw in a quarter turn. If its black and gooey its not getting enough air , back the screw out a quarter turn. During break in it will be black and gooey cause of the extra oil in the gas. Dont do any adjustments , unless its white , till break in is over and your running straight 32:1 and a new plug.