Mixing fuel/oil

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i said my engine broke down because i used the wrong oil, not the wrong ratio. i wasnt checkig my head bolts, maybe that contributed. either way, the kit cost me $150 and lasted a year, so why it broke down doesnt matter that much. also, the numbers in the mix ratio describe parts of gas to parts of oil. Therefore, 16 parts gas to 1 part oil is a LOWER ratio than 50 parts gas to 1 part oil there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
What proof do you have that shows it was solely the wrong ratio and not the wrong kind of oil or the fuel/air mixture. And 32:1 is a golden ratio for these engines, you can do whatever you want to your engine, but anything less than 24:1 has too much oil in the mix. And you always go by manual not the oil jug. Unless, in this case the manual is wrong on so many levels, then you come here for help....There are hundreds of people on here with lots of knowledge, you have presented your case, and it seems to have turned up faulty. I really hope this does not discourage you, keep learning, make mistakes and continue building with newly found knowledge. That is what this hobby is all about. :)

Good Luck,
Vista

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
oh my God! how many times do I have to say it was the wrong OIL, not the wrong ratio? I was using marine oil! now I am using air cooled oil. incidentally, my manual does recommend 25:1. - was using 32:1. from what i hear, that kind of ratio change doesnt make that much of a difference. its only roughly an ounce difference to a gallon. but the right oil makes a big difference. i was using marine oil and it wasnt keeping my engine cool enough. but for something that costs $150 and i get a years worth of heavy use out of it, im not too worried. now can we all please move on. if proving me wrong is that important to you guys, then you need a new hobby.

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Just to throw my two cents on the table, I have been around cars my whole life, have build a few my self, including my '53 Packard. I know cars but I admittedly know squat about 2strokes. Enough to get me by, not I wouldn't be able to diagnose a problem off the top of my head.

On the other hand, I have a lot of friends that race dirt bikes. Those guys know just about everything there is to know about 2strokes, and if I need help, I call one of 'em up. But those same guys know very little to diddly about working on cars.

My point is, its all a matter of perspective. You can take the general knowledge you have about one thing and apply it to another, and while it may be correct in the context you learned it, it may be off by a mile here. I wouldn't go to a cabinet shop to fix a wooden boat, I'd go to someone who builds boats. They're both carpenters, but they are experts in different fields. Thats the way I look at things anyway.