No Spark...Wiring CDI/Mag/Kill Switch Mess

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
TJ,
your chain is too loose...it's trying to go forward faster than the engine sprocket is turning
tighten it up, 1/2" deflection is a good rule of thumb
hope that helped :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well, I replaced my mag and cdi and it fired right up. Figured I might as well just take care of them both at the same time.

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
bill thanks that is my least problem now i broke rear studs so need to fix that then tighten chain.....J how hard was mag replacement? and congrats on getting going.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It was really simple. The hardest thing is getting the new one to line up with the holes in the block. Gotta put a screw in one of the holes in the mag, then kinda fiddle with it till it goes in. The rest are fairly easy, but still require a little fiddling. Don't tighten them down till they're all in, or you won't get them all in :) the magnet is what makes it a pain.

Thanks. I rode to work today. 6mi :)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
a trick for installing the mag...
use a business card between the mag and the rotor (magnet)
the business card keeps the mag from touching the rotor, makes alignment much easier

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Thanks Guys, I have an extra evrything now just in case........But when I need them i'm going to go Where the heck did I Put these things at.......:)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
heh I was riding home last night from getting the car running for my wife (killed the battery somehow), and all of a sudden it quit running just like last time. Hopped off the bike and swore a few times, thinking that stupid magneto went out again somehow. But then I checked the gas tank and it was empty, lol. Guess I didn't put as much gas in there as I thought.

sunkyman

Jun 7, 2008
Tucson,AZ
I just had to replace my magneto as well. Good info in this thread. With mine, I noticed water had got into it through the opening for the wires (damn monsoon rains). I put some permatex around it so it won't happen again.

hennessey porter

Aug 8, 2010
Spokane
Sup guys i'm n the same boat. Cruising along then I get back fire sputter then nothing. I'm trying new plug and boot first and pray I haven't blown my CDI or magneto. Man I just want to ride.