oil spill ideas

GoldenMotor.com

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
hope for the best and look for the worse lol

hope for the best and look for the worse lol just an military term ..I was thinking as far as an ufo . That if we don’t have one that crashed , then in the next 20 years we will make one. And if we could make an power source like anti matter an (inexhaustible ) fuel , wow cool ! Its unstable but so is every thing else , we had an oil stove wick malfunction while we were asleep. We woke up > what I call black hair nasty gunk residue out of our nose. I’m afraid that we will have health issues for years to come
Come on, everybody knows the mother ship hides behind the sun, not in Area 51.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not to start anything controversial, but I'm curious about something. A couple of days ago I heard a reporter from NBC say, "BP, formally British Petroleum". My question is if it isn't British Pertoleum anymore...who are they and who owns them. They closed all the BP stations in Colorado a couple of years ago. I used to buy my gas from one and when it closed and changed to a Conoco, I asked about BP moving out. I was told BP was bought by...and here comes the controversy, a middle eastern company and that they had made the desision to close stations in areas where the profits were not the best.
I'll probably regret posting this and if it starts a fire (no pun intended) I'll delete it and maybe have to close this thread. But if anyone knows who BP is today I'd like to know.
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Glad I don't own a gas driven machine.... Well my lawn mower I guess I'll have to buy my gas from racetrack they sell sludge I think..

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Yo Everybody! I worked off shore on oil rigs in the early 80s for about 6 years, on the coast of TX tof Port Lavaca, about 40 miles into the gulf, on the edge of the contintental shelf. The water out there is only about 80 ft deep and the rig was jacked up about 40ft over the water and I thnk I know a little about whats going on. Theres more to oil exploration over the water than sticking a pipe in the ground and sucking the oil out of it. I worked my way up from a roustabout, roughneck, to motorman and assistant driller. The first thing after the rig is in place you have to start driving casing these are 40 ft sections of 14" schedule 80 pipe, they're drivin into the bedrock with a pile driver. As each section is driven in another is placed on top and welded, this process goes on till you're in solid bedrock. The mud and seawater are cleaned out and the blow out preventer (Christmas Tree) is installed on top of the casing. The lip that carries the drill pipes up to the drill floor is called the Kelly. The drill bit is fastened to the pipe and lowered to the casing through the blowout preventer. The blowout preventer is 2 hygdraulic rams that will shear the drill pipe if you have to shut down the well. The preventer also has series of valves and pipes that helps control the well. The pipe is loaded into the well at 30ft a section, they are fastened together by either throwing a chain or using the hydraulic spinners. The rotary is a device that holds the pipe on the deck and also turns with the Kelly when it spins the pipe. The Kelly lowers the pipe and you start drilling. We used to say joints come in 30ft sections and dope (Grease) comes in a 5gal bucket. The Kelly turns the pipe deeper into the whole and now you are drilling. At the same time, drilling fluid called mud with a heavy viscosity is puimped through the drill stem pipe down where the drill bit is cutting and circulates up through the casing to the shaker house where the cuttings are separated and quality control keeps checking them. This is a standard procedure until you start hitting gas and methane which you will get long before you get to oil. The deepest hole I was on was about 18,000ft. When you hit that gas the well will want to kick back because of the tremendous pressure, you will have to burn off the gas with a device something like a gigantic rose bud from an acetelyn torch. In the mean time you keep cirulating with the mud. I've seen the time when we burned off more gas than you could heat a large city with. It wasn't reclaimed because it was contaminated. After the gas is burned off and the mud weight viscosity was satisfactory the drilling would continue. All the years I was srilling we brought in only 1 oil well.
WHAT CAUSED THE OIL SPILL???
They were over a mile deep and hit gas. They tried to circulate but the pressure was too immense and the well was kicking back. They tried to shut down the well but the blowout preventer would not function. Last resort, they tried to pump cement into the well to close it off. By that time the gas has started coming up around the casing and they were in big trouble. Something sparked off the gas and you have a fire. You can say GOODBYE to the oil well. It was the oil companies fault for not maintaining their equipment and maintenance and safety prodecures.
The Oil Companies are pointing their fingers at each other and then the Government gets involved and the Gulf of Mexico is one he ll of a mess.
This comes from my own experience. Shoulda never happened!!
Have a good day
buzzard

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
For those who might not have seen it, last Sunday '60 Minutes' interviewed a driller from the well in question. He said almost exactly what Buzzard has written here. Thanks, Buzz for the confirmation.
Tom

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Safety has been a huge problem in the oil field for years. The government regulations have been pretty loose. It costs a tremendous amount of money to keep an oil rig in operation 24/7. It's only been in the last few years that we have started looking in our own back yard for oil. After the mid 80s oil crash everything came to a stand still. We could buy oil from OPEC cheaper than drilling for it ourselves and this has got us into the mess we are into today. With the Gulf Wars and other political unrest its way past time for oil exploration and we had better start looking at alternative methods of energy or we are going to be in real world of hurt.
buzzard

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
just what i am looking for

Thanks buzz , just the person I was waiting for , I thought it was just an long drill , this sounds like an long procedure. This thread was edited by me ‘’Kicking’’ because I was tired of just setting back and I felt like if the wheel squeaks loud it gets the oil , It was childish of me to paint an picture so grim , I am ashamed of my self and hope a lot of people did not see it before the edit. This was not the site to do this. The word that is used for such action is called ’fearmonging .I just was caught up in my emotions. and felt like I could get some knowledge of what we face. I acted like a fool . My 8 year old said dad you worry to much. I saw some pictures of some ideas kids made with crayons . From a giant shower curtain with an drain on the bottom of the ocean , to a giant robot Abrams tank with a cap on the bottom. Clever for kids ! I’m sure there are a lot of eco Nazis that scream bloody doom but my intentions were not like that. I am not the type of person who would put a spike in a tree for our loggers who risk there lives and work hard every day, I do believe in tree farms to the very max !! I saw an man who jumped off the rig who was talking about pieces of rubber from an O ring , I think ? It made me think of the space shuttle. Maybe nasa could help. If the ocean floor is only 40 feet deep then pressure should not be an issue? It may be an pony and dog show to keep the public occupied until some other relief hole is dug? But this thread is designed for all peoples ideas and to gain knowledge . And I ask every one “ Please do not talk about politicians on my thread” political threads destroy sites in my view ! How long would you think to stop the leak buzz? If you wish not to say I understand . Thank you ! P.S. every body I have many health issues including I suffer from Dyslexia and I am losing my site , please bear with my typing thank you Dyslexia - Wikipedia, ********* dont do justis to this condition and link removed by me Kicking
Yo Everybody! I worked off shore on oil rigs in the early 80s for about 6 years, on the coast of TX tof Port Lavaca, about 40 miles into the gulf, on the edge of the contintental shelf. The water out there is only about 80 ft deep and the rig was jacked up about 40ft over the water and I thnk I know a little about whats going on. Theres more to oil exploration over the water than sticking a pipe in the ground and sucking the oil out of it. I worked my way up from a roustabout, roughneck, to motorman and assistant driller. The first thing after the rig is in place you have to start driving casing these are 40 ft sections of 14" schedule 80 pipe, they're drivin into the bedrock with a pile driver. As each section is driven in another is placed on top and welded, this process goes on till you're in solid bedrock. The mud and seawater are cleaned out and the blow out preventer (Christmas Tree) is installed on top of the casing. The lip that carries the drill pipes up to the drill floor is called the Kelly. The drill bit is fastened to the pipe and lowered to the casing through the blowout preventer. The blowout preventer is 2 hygdraulic rams that will shear the drill pipe if you have to shut down the well. The preventer also has series of valves and pipes that helps control the well. The pipe is loaded into the well at 30ft a section, they are fastened together by either throwing a chain or using the hydraulic spinners. The rotary is a device that holds the pipe on the deck and also turns with the Kelly when it spins the pipe. The Kelly lowers the pipe and you start drilling. We used to say joints come in 30ft sections and dope (Grease) comes in a 5gal bucket. The Kelly turns the pipe deeper into the whole and now you are drilling. At the same time, drilling fluid called mud with a heavy viscosity is puimped through the drill stem pipe down where the drill bit is cutting and circulates up through the casing to the shaker house where the cuttings are separated and quality control keeps checking them. This is a standard procedure until you start hitting gas and methane which you will get long before you get to oil. The deepest hole I was on was about 18,000ft. When you hit that gas the well will want to kick back because of the tremendous pressure, you will have to burn off the gas with a device something like a gigantic rose bud from an acetelyn torch. In the mean time you keep cirulating with the mud. I've seen the time when we burned off more gas than you could heat a large city with. It wasn't reclaimed because it was contaminated. After the gas is burned off and the mud weight viscosity was satisfactory the drilling would continue. All the years I was srilling we brought in only 1 oil well.
WHAT CAUSED THE OIL SPILL???
They were over a mile deep and hit gas. They tried to circulate but the pressure was too immense and the well was kicking back. They tried to shut down the well but the blowout preventer would not function. Last resort, they tried to pump cement into the well to close it off. By that time the gas has started coming up around the casing and they were in big trouble. Something sparked off the gas and you have a fire. You can say GOODBYE to the oil well. It was the oil companies fault for not maintaining their equipment and maintenance and safety prodecures.
The Oil Companies are pointing their fingers at each other and then the Government gets involved and the Gulf of Mexico is one he ll of a mess.
This comes from my own experience. Shoulda never happened!!
Have a good day
buzzard

Last edited:

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
kicking, no need to aplogize for a political commentary, that isn't what this is about. It effects everyone.. with or without the political bally hoo sticking its nose in.
It's going to have further reaches than any of us can imagine. The O rings were probably off of the blowout preventer which has many high pressured seals. With the rigs log and daily report log missing who knows what actually transpired before the big blow.
Directional drilling in my opinion will be the only way they can shut down the well. They'll have to run a horizontal shaft into the casing if its still there and perforate a hole to relieve the pressure on the shaft. If the casing is not there they'll have to go lower and try to hit the main shaft. This means drilling through solid rock and very difficult to do from the top side. A few degrees off either way they could miss the shaft completely. If they do succeed they are going to have to be ready for it because it will have a lot of pressure built up. With all the modern technology that the oil field has now it can be done but will be very difficult. I understand they are working on it now but it will take in my opinion at least a month or so. We have to realize that June 1 is the start of hurricane season and if there's a big one come into the gulf it will be huge disaster--more than we have now. Tonights Night Line showed how devastating it is already. I wish them all the luck in the world because its going to take a lot of luck to fix this devastation.
Sorry to read of your dislexia. Its not really rare, but still very inconveniet especially with numbers. We have a few friends that suffer with it. I know how hard it can be for them to even read a newspaper at times. It used to be that reading through different colored cell papers helped but I understand that isn't even viable any more.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Who knows how they'll get this all cleaned up-- certainly not with panty hose and hair. lol
buzzard

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
well thanks buzz you gave me sme hope now

kicking, no need to aplogize for a political commentary, that isn't what this is about. It effects everyone.. with or without the political bally hoo sticking its nose in.
It's going to have further reaches than any of us can imagine. The O rings were probably off of the blowout preventer which has many high pressured seals. With the rigs log and daily report log missing who knows what actually transpired before the big blow.
Directional drilling in my opinion will be the only way they can shut down the well. They'll have to run a horizontal shaft into the casing if its still there and perforate a hole to relieve the pressure on the shaft. If the casing is not there they'll have to go lower and try to hit the main shaft. This means drilling through solid rock and very difficult to do from the top side. A few degrees off either way they could miss the shaft completely. If they do succeed they are going to have to be ready for it because it will have a lot of pressure built up. With all the modern technology that the oil field has now it can be done but will be very difficult. I understand they are working on it now but it will take in my opinion at least a month or so. We have to realize that June 1 is the start of hurricane season and if there's a big one come into the gulf it will be huge disaster--more than we have now. Tonights Night Line showed how devastating it is already. I wish them all the luck in the world because its going to take a lot of luck to fix this devastation.
Sorry to read of your dislexia. Its not really rare, but still very inconveniet especially with numbers. We have a few friends that suffer with it. I know how hard it can be for them to even read a newspaper at times. It used to be that reading through different colored cell papers helped but I understand that isn't even viable any more.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Who knows how they'll get this all cleaned up-- certainly not with panty hose and hair. lol
buzzard
well thanks buzz you gave me some hope now , when you said bedrock i knew it was an hard drill . we had an deep well put in here and the guy broke three drill s. so i can imagine what this bed rock stuff is like. i dont mind people talking about the goverment and how they are not god nor are we all. i have never cared for them and im 53 years old lol. i just dont like dem / rep talk and try my very best to stay away from it at all forums. if they is one somewhere on the site then i dont want to go to it./ but i do beleive in freedom of speach , and freedom of religion , as long as it is not freedom from religion lol. im not going to wait for them > the goverment . if i had of , i would be liveing in a sewer lol> if that good. been all over the usa from the bronx to fla ca la va ms hmmmm well i was a young man at one time lol . they need robot mini skimers that go like the new vacum cleaners. run on battiers and have solar panels on the tops of them. and set them loose in the marshes. have them programed in to dump at at docking station and go back to work on a new area. i love to invent! its in my blood. but i cant save the world. tesla was a great man and im inspired by ideas. its is a lot of stress on me and others. we just want it stoped. my health conditions are bad , but ya know what buzz , you can all ways look around and see worse and be thankful! ---michael j fox is just an kid and his illness is a hard one. you dont have to be old to be ill. god forbid ill wind in a nurising home someday.. like lynard skinard says "you wont find me in no old folks home'' you got that right ;; buzz. I know you may not want any parts of an oil rig buzz , but if you know some one and can help you will be our hero! now that i have said this i ask and plead every one at this site.. (( remember))).flg. come memorial day !!!! thanks and im still kicking !

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
By bearbait, 5-22-10
The US lost over 1800 ships in WWII. Finding the total sunk world wide is hard to do. The US submariners lost 52 submarines while sinking well over 5,000,000 tons of Japanese shipping, an amount larger than their total available bottoms in 1940. As to the daily sinkings off the US East Coast from 1940 to when we entered the War, and then the daily losses to the U-Boat wolf packs as we tried to convoy war material and food to England and Russia, which were ships from many nations involved in the war, and the total destruction and oil releases into various oceans from the warm tropics to the super cooled Atlantic routes to Archangel and the British Isles, and every body of water in between. Oil was not the only cargo lost, and I can't even imagine some of the stuff that had to have been lost.

I have never seen any studies that enumerate and evaluate the environmental damages from WWII ships sunk at sea and on the beaches of the battlefields. I think I read that almost two hundred at Normandy were sunk. No matter, the losses were catastrophic in today's language, and the long term impacts are unknown, or at least no telling and apparent daily. And so it will be with the Gulf spill. I sometimes wonder if the Exxon Valdez cleanup effort made the situation worse, not better, and the way to deflect litigation is to make any effort, good or bad, but an effort at clean up. Is our litigious society so combative that we daily are involved in defending not the environment, but our collective asses, from attorneys intent on turning disaster into profits?

Any venture comes with risk. If we run our society to reduce risk, that is smart. But to run it to have zero risk, or if there is risk, not do whatever, then we slowly strangle in the tethers of our societal restraints, and some other entity will come along to take over and put the pieces back together, and most likely not in a configuration that most will appreciate. We do have to be rational, if that is now possible in these United States.

I listened on Public Radio to a scientist who said that two Very Large oil tankers had collided near Trinidad a few years back, in a spill of huge dimensions, and in ten days, the oil slick could not be found. Warm water, Arab light crude, aerosols, bacteria, and the oil had either become greenhouse gases or been eaten by bacteria. He said that Pemex, the Mexican oil cartel had also had a big blowout spill, and that oil had been devoured by micro organisms in the warm waters of the Gulf. He also said the daily "seeping" from oil reserves untapped in the Gulf were in an amount greater than that being released by the BP well, and that keeps the bacteria numbers substantial and available. Not that I condone, want, cheer, or value any oil spill for any reason, but we do have to be rational. Or is it we can't "waste a perfectly good crisis" as Rahm Emanuel believes?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, this spill is no big deal....it's probably just a conspiracy to stop offshore drilling and doesn't even exist.....all CNN and photoshoppe.

Darned alarmists!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Besides that, the ice caps melting should dillute the oil, especially with all the industrial waste acting as a detergent of sorts.

All is well in Wellsville, now, what's the Lindsay Lohan girl or the other bonehead Heidi Monyag Pratt doing these days? That's the REAL important news.