I'm stuck... literally!

GoldenMotor.com

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
The cylinder for which the cable and needle go, is stuck in the near the top of the carb. I've tried pulling it out with pliers, come up from underneath with a spoke to try and push up on it, lubed and tried again. I'm very afraid of breaking it trying to get it out. Has anyone else had this problem and or solution I might try? Here's a picture of it. Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
HH,
That slide, (barrel) only goes in the carburetor one way. If it is forced in wrong you'll end up where you are now. Keep trying to get it out but use care and don't scratch or mar the surface. If you get it out look at it and you'll see one long and one short slot. The long slot goes to the right side of the carb when looking down as it is mounted on the bike. The short slot, the idle speed slot, goes to the left side and lines up with your idle speed screw. Try wrapping it with tape and wiggling with a pair of pliers, vicegrips, etc. If you can't get it out you'll be looking at a new carburetor, but it should come out with a little effort. Remove the idle speed screw, that might help. Good luck.
Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Heat the carb body with a heat gun or at least a hair dryer before you start pulling.

Alternately, remove the carb, remove the float bowl and float, then the main jet and use a small punch up through where you took the jet out. Tap it gently and don't give up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Heat is a great idea, but I'd remove it from the engine first and get the fuel out of it. Heat guns and hair driers have a heating coil that glows red when hot. That could ignite the vapors. Be careful. (No offence Joe. Just thought I'd toss that in) Got OSHA in my facility this week and I'm in safety mode.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
This has happened to me many times, loosen it from the manifold you got it too tight. I have found out if you over tighten it, it will warp the carb

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Thans For that tip fair . It explains why mine was sticking untill I took it off the manifold for further inspection and it worked fine off but sticky whilst riding . I will go loosten that screw now. Then go for a lengthy test ride .

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
The bike gods were kind to me! I got it out with but a mere scratch, which I sanded with ultra fine grit paper. I am very happy now!