Lessons learnd the hard way

GoldenMotor.com

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
My first build. I bought A sehwinn mtb bike from toys r us. then I put A 48cc motor
in it The motor did not fit the down tube it was to wide.So like most shade tree mechanic
I beat the **** out of the down tube with a hammer to make it thinner.It worked are
at least I thought it did.I was ziping along as fast as the bike would go.Then the
right front motor mount broke the motor spun 90 degrees to the left locking the rear
wheel up and then I was giong as fast the mb would go on my ass. lucky for me their
was no traffic it was A two lane road I slid off the left side of the road and ended on
on the shoulder.I got up no worst for the wear took the drive chain off the motor.
and pedaled home.My second build will be done right. I bought A GT2 kit with a 66cc
motor. Check it out at usabikemotors.com:-||

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you're lucky your frame didn't break in half and send you over the bars, killing you, or turning you into a vegetable.

this forum won't allow me to express my true feelings about what you did to mount your engine, so i'll just say this;

no normal person in his right mind would consider doing this.

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
you're lucky your frame didn't break in half and send you over the bars, killing you, or turning you into a vegetable.

this forum won't allow me to express my true feelings about what you did to mount your engine, so i'll just say this;

no normal person in his right mind would consider doing this.
Dang! I was hoping for the un-edited version.... ;)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hammering on cold, unprepared steel causes microfractures. You're not still using that bike, are you?
P.S.: Hammering on aluminum isn't any better.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
And of course you were wearing a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet, padded gloves, and holding down your speed for the conditions, right? If that 48 cc engine broke up your frame, think what a 66 cc engine would have done!

Follow good advice given here. You will get in more ride time and less injury recovery time.

MikeJ

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
My frame did not brake.the 6mm bolt holding the motor [right front] broke
the frame is just fine.and the motor swung to thr left and yes the muffler
was bolted to the frame. But it was enough jam the chain. As A 66 year old
X motorcycle dirt track racer. falling at 25mph low side get off is no big deal.bf.drn2