Seat Post

GoldenMotor.com

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Speaking of seat posts, I hate to admit it but I have short legs. I want to lower the seat more than where it will go straight down so I can still have my butt on the seat and have both feet touching the ground. (this is on a mountain bike) Has any one seen a seat post that would move the seat back and down. I'm thinking that the front of the seat would be cupping the start of a curve that would come back from the tightening collar. Has anyone tried this?? perhaps a custom exhaust shop could bend the post. Give me some Ideas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: how to use motorized bicycle forum for posting

What you are looking for is called a 'lay back seat post'. There are commericially available ones and custom fabricated posts. You'll need a post that will fit your seat tube and saddle. Many standard seat post are tapered on the seat end to 7/8" and the seat tube is 1". That isn't the size for every bike but it seems to be for the majority. Here's a photo of a hand made seat post fabricated from 1" shaft stock turned down in a lathe to 7/8" on the end to fit the saddle. A lay back seat post will move your butt rearward and will sit lower than the standard seat. Hope this helps.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dontwannawalk

Dec 23, 2009
Iowa
Thanks, That's exactly what I was picturing in my head but didn't know it was something that would work. I can most likely get a local machine shop to make one for me. Now if I could just get someone to shorten my pant legs-----------

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Dontwanna I know about your troubles, my inseam is 28 inches and I am 5'10". Used to have a heck of a time trying to get a diamond frame pedal bike that fit me. If my feet could reach the ground the handlebars were too close. The only workaround was to buy a short frame and use the longest stem that i could find.
Elmo