I'm Stuck! I dont know how to finish my project.

GoldenMotor.com

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
So I'm pretty new to this whole scene. I dont have much of a mechanical background and I got my kit yesterday from Dax. The kit didnt come with an instruction manual so I used the installation guide at thatsdax.com.

I was able to:
1. Do the wheel thing
2. mount the engine
3. put the sparkplug in the engine
4. connect the black tube to the spark plug and mount the little box thing
5. connect the blue to blue and black to black

I was unable to do:
Alot. Expecially the clutch lever stuff.

Please look at the photos below and tell me what to do next! I am utterly lost.

The first link is what I have so far
The second link are the parts with which I have no idea what to do with

Links:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/socmo/1111091547-00.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/socmo/1111091549-00.jpg

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Step 1: Let's identify your remaining parts. Please kindly refer to attached picture for identity of parts:

Step 2: Let's see which parts goes to where.
a) Carburetor - install this to that tube sticking out of the engine which is called the intake manifold. It's that tube where the opening is facing the seat tube.
b) Accelerator cable - this has two ends. The end that has a bent metal tubing goes to the the accelerator holder. The other end goes to the carburetor. You'll have to unscrew the cap of the carburetor and install the cable to the slider inside the carburetor.
c) Accelerator holder - The accelerator goes into the the accelerator holder. You'll have to unscrew the 2 halves of the accelerator holder. There is a small notch on the underside of the accelerator holder where you'll have to drill a hole on your handle bar to keep the accelerator holder in place.
d) Clutch lever - This goes on the left side of your handlebar, which means you'll have to either remove the left brake or put both brakes on the right, or sometimes the left brake is placed at the bottom of the clutcg lever. That loose cable that has a spring and is coming out of the engine is the clutch cable and the other end goes to the clutch lever, just like the brakes.
e) Fuel hose - This goes to the fuel tank and to the carburetor. Install your fuel tank first.
f) Spark plug wrench - This is a tool to tighten your spark plug, also used to remove the spark plug.
g) Chain - This is installed to the sprocket on the left side of the wheel. You'll have to remove the sprocket cover on the engine and put one end of the chain in the sprocket. Turn the sprocket on the engine using the spark plug wrench slowly making sure the chain is not getting stuck while you insert it.
h) Left Grip - install this on the left side of your handlebar.

I don't see a chain tensioner on your frame. You might need it depending on the frame. Otherwise, you might have remove some links from your chain to make it fit...

Try installing all the necessary parts first, then we'll go to adjustment...

Hope this helps... :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I find having to cut the motorcycle chain somewhat difficult, even after years and years of working with normal bicycle chains. So you might want to shop around for a good chain tool- they aren't real cheap- about $20 or more. I think Spookytooth may have one- I got one on e-bay.

(THe chain in the kit is called a #415 chain, so make sure it can handle that- a cheap bike chain tool at Wal-Mart wont work)

Be sure the chain on the motor and the sprocket on the back wheel line up- if your lucky they often do, otherwise some spacers and adjustment of the wheel or motor may be necessary. A lot of people, me included, try to not have to use the chain tensioner, which is the heaviest steel bracket that the little plastic white wheel attaches to and which otherwise guides the chain and takes up the slack- but by using the tensioner, you may not have to cut the chain down in size either.

There are more directions at other web sites too- I forget just who, but I think bike Berry and Spookytooth. What one may not cover well, the other might. I've got a couple on my computer, or print them out.

Also look at the pictures here, in the pictures area especially. Lots of clues....

With two handbrakes, you probably want to invest in a dual brake lever as well, because it's hard to work the brakes and clutch and throttle all at once without one- and a little dangerous- so the dual lever handles both brakes with one hand and they are about 10-12 dollars.

Last edited:

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Step 1: Let's identify your remaining parts. Please kindly refer to attached picture for identity of parts:

Step 2: Let's see which parts goes to where.
a) Carburetor - install this to that tube sticking out of the engine which is called the intake manifold. It's that tube where the opening is facing the seat tube.
b) Accelerator cable - this has two ends. The end that has a bent metal tubing goes to the the accelerator holder. The other end goes to the carburetor. You'll have to unscrew the cap of the carburetor and install the cable to the slider inside the carburetor.
c) Accelerator holder - The accelerator goes into the the accelerator holder. You'll have to unscrew the 2 halves of the accelerator holder. There is a small notch on the underside of the accelerator holder where you'll have to drill a hole on your handle bar to keep the accelerator holder in place.
d) Clutch lever - This goes on the left side of your handlebar, which means you'll have to either remove the left brake or put both brakes on the right, or sometimes the left brake is placed at the bottom of the clutcg lever. That loose cable that has a spring and is coming out of the engine is the clutch cable and the other end goes to the clutch lever, just like the brakes.
e) Fuel hose - This goes to the fuel tank and to the carburetor. Install your fuel tank first.
f) Spark plug wrench - This is a tool to tighten your spark plug, also used to remove the spark plug.
g) Chain - This is installed to the sprocket on the left side of the wheel. You'll have to remove the sprocket cover on the engine and put one end of the chain in the sprocket. Turn the sprocket on the engine using the spark plug wrench slowly making sure the chain is not getting stuck while you insert it.
h) Left Grip - install this on the left side of your handlebar.

I don't see a chain tensioner on your frame. You might need it depending on the frame. Otherwise, you might have remove some links from your chain to make it fit...

Try installing all the necessary parts first, then we'll go to adjustment...

Hope this helps... :)
Ok, I think I've got it all down except for a couple things.
1. I got the accelerator cable to go accelerator (putting the "bead" at the end of the cable into the handle and putting the handle into the slot in the accelerator holder, right?), but I dont exactly know where to put it in the carburetor.

2. There are some electric wires coming out of the accelerator holder which I dont know where to put

3. Is there any mantinence check I should do on the carbuerator before I put gas into the tank?

4. The Clutch cable has two springs. I have the small one suspended and locked between two metal things on the motor (which I think is right judging from pics of other ppl's). However, what do I do with the big spring? Currently it is just idly hanging on the black rubber portion of the clutch cable.

Thanks so much in advance

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
1. I got the accelerator cable to go accelerator (putting the "bead" at the end of the cable into the handle and putting the handle into the slot in the accelerator holder, right?), but I dont exactly know where to put it in the carburetor.

2. There are some electric wires coming out of the accelerator holder which I dont know where to put

3. Is there any mantinence check I should do on the carbuerator before I put gas into the tank?

4. The Clutch cable has two springs. I have the small one suspended and locked between two metal things on the motor (which I think is right judging from pics of other ppl's). However, what do I do with the big spring? Currently it is just idly hanging on the black rubber portion of the clutch cable.

I'll try and give it a shot
1. (Mine was pre-assembled) Unscrew the large top off the carb (Has ridges on it like a checker) The cable goes into the barell shaped part with the slot down one side and has a spot for the end to seat in the needle is under all this be gentle putting it back in aligning the slot with the notch inside the carb.

2. the 2 wires coming off the throttle handle are the kill switch best to go one blue the other black or ground to engine block. It can be left off until later you can stop the engine by engaging the clutch come to a full stop and let the clutch out to kill it.

3. Just mix gas and 2 cycle oil as per instructions...bear in mind your engine will increase in power alot after a few tanks of gas when the rings seat don't baby it but don't dog it either.

4. You have the large spring where it goes it should ride on the cable next to engine for heat shield the other is for return of the clutch between the standoff and the clutch actuator arm...I took mine off there is plenty of return spring inside the clutch.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

There's a screw cap on the carburetor that has a hole to insert the cable through it. When you unscrew it, be careful of the spring, needle and a washer that's on the slide barrel. You will find there's a canal on the slide barrel where the cable would rest, where a small bead would anchor on the slide barrel. The washer should be on top of the needle where the spring pushes it. You will also find that the slide barrel can only be inserted in a single position, a brass bead inside the carburetor that guides the slide barrel. The washer is also slotted where the cable also runs through that slot.

Rule of thumb is connect the same color wires. If you find that the colors does not match any of the wires to be connected with, then we improvise... Can you tell us what colors of the wires you have? The white wire is always attached to the frame in standard configuration.

3. Is there any mantinence check I should do on the carburetor before I put gas into the tank?
Yes, put an O-ring between the intake and carburetor. There are 2 screws holding the float bowl, make sure it's clean and that the jet is not clogged. The jet is that brass screw that has a small hole through it. This regulates fuel flow.

The big spring protects the clutch cable from getting burned from the engine heat. It prevents the cable from touching the hot surface of the engine on its side

See reply in blue above... Hope this helps...

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Ok,
I managed to get the accelerator connected to the carburator:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/socmo/1113091620-00.jpg
(can anyone confirm that this is right? when I twist the handle, the metal slide goes up and down)

However, I'm still confused as to where I connect the two wires coming off the accelerator.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/socmo/1113091620-01.jpg

Currently, I have a Box with three wires coming out of it, (blue, black, and white). The blue and black are connected to their corresponding colors coming off of the spark plug. Where do I put the wires coming off of the accelerator?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Looks right to me the wires can connect to the black and blue what they do is divert the circuit to kill the engine. I removed mine as you can also kill the engine letting the clutch out sitting still it just does a little hop. The kill switch comes in handy if you need to stop using the motor and peddle (I.E. the police are staring at ya LOL)

Rachtak

Oct 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
You have to roll the split chain over the teeth from one end- you might use someting like a screwdriver to move the SPROCKET, but be careful not to break the teeth- Austin
Ok, I just found out that I have to break the chain. However, I cant figure out how to take off the little black "clip" thats holding the chain together

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Neither 415 nor 41 are on the list for that breaker. Do you know that it works?
yeah, it works great.

BUT mine came with 2 pins, one smaller one that worked on both chains, and one big one that'd work on, well, big chains.

i was at H.F. the other day, and all the ones they had had 2 pins, but both of them were the large ones. dunno why, maybe bad quality control in china?

you would need to grind the pin down a little to make it work. 10 seconds with a grinder, or a couple minutes with a file and your all set.