Cyclone Board Track Racer is done!

GoldenMotor.com

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
This will make it's first public appearance tomorrow.

I can't decide if I should use black tires or stick with the white.

Dave
KC

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
Love it, putting that picture on the wall in my living room! I would say go with the black tires, black and yellow is a classic combo. Here, put them side by side...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Dave, Best Wishes on your debut, keep me posted.

Checked out the latest post on your blog, Nice score on the neck decal, I've never seen one before.

I'm only repeating myself,.....The bike looks great!

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Thanks guys. It was a hit and was invited to be brought up "under the tent". Started on it's own all three times(only a 3.3 amp battery) and ran great. Huge attention getter as people were rushing to get out their cameras as it went by.
At the end I did a neighborhood lap on the way back to the truck. Fortunately, I was away from the crowd when the rear freewheel spun the threads right off the rear hub. Fair warning to those building anything with any power - you need a cush drive of some sort - the aluminum hub cannot take any power. God forbid the sprocket was mounted to the spokes! I will have to mount a sprocket carrier directly to the hub but will have to come up with a way to soft mount it too. Cush drives have been discussed as necessary since 191x. You have been warned.
Lot's of fun!!
Dave

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
Thanks for the warning about cush drives, and nice power plant by the way, but anything the can break the rear tire scares me a little. Can't wait to see what you come up with to fix it.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Me too! Honestly the real problem for singles and clunky twins is the uneven power output causing a push/pull effect on the rear wheel. My issue is only under hard power as the belt on the primary reduction dampens the motor's compression strokes from the drive train and rear wheel during cruising. Secondary reduction is chain only. I might mount a sprocket carrier directly to the hub with as large a bolt pattern as I can and just remember "thrust is not the goal."

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Not sure what you mean. It isn't a 2-stroke. Unless you run it really lean or allow lots of cold air back into the exhaust seats, there isn't too much of an issue running it a bit lean. Can't say that of a 2-stroke(I have several). Didn't notice any predetonation.

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Dave, I've followed your Blog and we spoke briefly by phone once. Love your finished bike. Seeing the pic of the one that sold for $520K has me thinking I would at least throw a set of black tires on and take pics of the bike in the same place you have taken pics with the white tires,.....then pour a cold one and do the A-B comparison............maybe two sets of wheels, one with Black, one with White to suit your Mood..(;>.

Brian in Austin

PS. Love the Starion Turbo also....Used to have a perfect Red one years ago....still a unique head turner and you Never see them on the road.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
dmar did i see that bike over at fishheads.org that's one nice looking build .im sorry i didn't get to go to the show last week but ill go next year.
scott

Last edited:

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Scott,
Yep, That's the one on FH.
Brian,
Black tires are already on. Thanks for the suggestion. I had new black tires before the show but didn't want to mess with putting them on..... plus my wife liked the white tires.
Dave
KC

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Here's a pic of it back on two wheels with black tires. I have to say it looks much more serious this way. Took it for an up-the-road test drive and got three neighbor waves. I have loud toys but I'm outgoing and have really nice neighbors.

BTW, I will upgrade the blog with how I remounted that spun sprocket.

Boardtrack Replica

Dave
KC

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Dave, I'm a fan of White tires,....but.....gotta say I prefer the black tires on your bike.

There is one other option........Yellow bike, white rims and black tires. I'll try to attach a pic of my bike with that scheme....

Took some doing,....but got it to work....Yeah, I know....wouldn't be appropriate for your bike.....but thought you might like to see another yellow/white scheme.

Brian

Brian

Last edited: