Sprocket Adapter slippage

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Discovered this after return from a 30 mile ride. 1' hub, 14g spokes, aluminum wheel. I assume this occurred over time and I never noticed adapter was slipping. Too bad! pretty wheel- I was never impressed with this multi speed rear disc brake set up anyway. Gonna simplify and replace it with a Husky Coaster. So everybody - to be safe, take some time today and check to see if your adapter is slipping.

Attachments

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Well it could had gone worse! Looks kind of cool , but renders your wheel useless! Shame it happened, but now you have an awesome excuse to get a beefy rim!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never seen that happen with a 'rag joint' :) Just kidding.

The sprocket adapters are a great advancement for motorized bicycles but fit and tightness are critical.
When it was installed and tightened, did the two halves touch or was there a small gap?

If they touch there's a good chance the adapter was slightly oversized for your hub. Slippage like yours isn't normal. And I concur, get a new rim. That one is toast.

Tom

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
It's correctly sized. I balance the gaps and tighten from side to side. This is the result of my own neglect. Hard to keep up with all these bikes. I will try to do better. I did check the others though!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Oddly the adapter manufacturers rarely, if ever, provide torque values for their products.

The adapters must be tightened sufficiently to prevent slipping and often that is tighter than the user makes them.

There have been previous discussions about 'how tight' should the fasteners be. Below is a metric torque value chart that might help anyone curious about how to properly tighten metric fasteners. Apply the torque based on the size fastener used to clamp the two halves together and the sprocket to the adapter fasteners as well. This is assuming the adpater maker used metric fasteners.

Tom

Attachments