no more chain and sprocket...PLEASE!!!

GoldenMotor.com

rising low

Aug 2, 2015
sebring fl.
ok so i have the HS 4 stroke with the double roller chain box.i want very much to swap the output sprocket with a pulley,and do like a wizzer belt drive deal.Ive always hated the chain and sprockets,had nothin but problems on other builds.Anyway,what size output pulley do i need to buy?1 and a half inch,2inch?And i guess i'll be putting a 20inch bike rim to my 26inch rim for final drive,or is it possible to go even smaller on final drive,like say a childs bike rim for final sheathe? ...........DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?.....

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
In my experience all the problems I had with chain were due to improper setup. Even now, my chain line is off by almost a quarter inch over about 20 inches and no problems. Eliminating the chain tensioner was a big one. Believe me, it's cheaper and easier to make your current solution work reliably than to switch to something you have no experience with. V-belt drive has its own problems, but alignment and breakage are not included. Any moisture or oil you get in there will affect performance. A chain likes oil and doesn't care for dirt.

With that engine, chain is probably the best way to go. A belt will eat up some of the horsepower too.

I have tried a child's bike rim. I can send you the one I used with spoke mount holes already drilled. A v-belt won't work with a rim. You will need some kind of flat belt.

A whizzer sheave and pulley system will set you back a good sixty to eighty dollars as well.

Last edited:

rising low

Aug 2, 2015
sebring fl.
you make alot of good points and yes most of my past chain problems were my own doing,i just hate that pinapple gasket clamp,sanford and son, thingamajigg.And i cant justify $60 bucks for the good adapter so....hey man i grew up in grunge and love alice in chains!. and when i crank my half stack guitar amp,everyone in the boonies here knows what time it is!!!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Right on brotha! Drummer here. Guitarists have had mixed results trying to wake me up with their amps! Took a nap in the studio once with my earplugs in (foamies). Guitarist cranked it up and was practicing some metallica kill em all, for something like 45min. The metal band next door actually knocked on the door wondering who was thrashing, which is when my friend gave up and started lightly kickin me to wake up! Had a heck of a jam with that band...

You mean the ragjoint? Yeah it's junk. It eats up 13g spokes easily. Mine came with a center hole the same size as freewheel threads, so centering was no problem. If you rebuild your wheel with thicker spokes it ends up being a decent solution.

I'm actually about to build a wheel. Treatland.tv sells moped parts, and they have moped hubs and sprockets that you could buy for $60 total. A steel rim and thick spokes from husky bikes will add $25, so including the shipping for about one bill you get a heavy duty setup with rear drum brake. I'm sick and tired of replacing broken spokes! Was about to go ride yesterday to meet a friend, but then asked to be picked up cause I found four broken spokes on the wheel. Scary I made it home at all!! :oops:

rising low

Aug 2, 2015
sebring fl.
yeah i been wondering where those moped rims came from,seems like everybody has them now.that would solve a ton of future problems for sure.dude thats a funny story bro,my drummer is an absolute gangster drummer ,but boy can he sweat,we had a tama star classic and his sweat wilted the skins right off the wood!ha!i play bass also and just got an epiphone thunderbird classic pro,its i think the baddest thing ive ever played.thanks for your info bro and keep bangin those skins ,it keeps us young.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
ok so i have the HS 4 stroke with the double roller chain box.i want very much to swap the output sprocket with a pulley,and do like a wizzer belt drive deal.Ive always hated the chain and sprockets,had nothin but problems on other builds.Anyway,what size output pulley do i need to buy?1 and a half inch,2inch?And i guess i'll be putting a 20inch bike rim to my 26inch rim for final drive,or is it possible to go even smaller on final drive,like say a childs bike rim for final sheathe? ...........DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?.....
Just count the teeth on the sprockets you have on there,like 12 into 36 = 3 to 1
Belts are dived by inches 3" into 12"=4 to 1.......About 2 1/2" is the smallest you want to go to avoid belt slipping ...........Curt

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Cant justify the cost of a hub clamp and thinks a bike rim belt will be cheaper...
Belts suck. They stretch, they slip, they burn, they crack, they get so loose they wont even break... You wont ever break one either. between the rim and the spokes, it wont be the belt to give way. A decent pulley and flat-belt will almost be as much as the clamp, maybe more. Even a rag joint is better! Why do you think it exists? The belt and rim job are cheaper solutions to manufacture, but absolutely suck