IGH jackshaft issue

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
I finally have an issue with the tranny. Ive been riding really aggressively with the shifting. Accelerating at maximum until maximum speed basically. Ive even had some fun drifting in the corners, but it made me pee my pants the first time it happened. 80% of my weight is on the front wheel and the wheel base is 60 inches.

Ok, the trouble that has cropped up... I installed a new engine and changed the input sprocket from 21 teeth to 25 teeth. Just to give it an easier time, you know...

Yesterday I decided to reinstall the 21 tooth since the engine was showing signs of better performance.

While trying to disassemble the the right side axle nut I found I couldnt.
The left side came loose, but I had to get a large 1/2 socket wrench for leverage on it.

I removed both nuts but found that the key that keeps the axle from rotating had allowed the axle to rotate basically swedging the key washer in place, and locking the left side of the tranny in the forks.

The transmission still works perfectly though, just that the axle had screwed itself to the right a half turn maybe...

I grabbed some channel locks and bit into the axle and tried to rock it out while pulling on the right of the hub.... no go..

I grabed a small hammer... couldnt find my dead blow, and tapped the locks until the key washer cleared out of the jackshaft forks....

I wont be able to remove the key washer without further damaging the axle.

However, I have a back up tranny, so I grabbed it and installed the 21 tooth driver. I found a pair of sram key washers which are higher quality in my opinion, and lock both sides of the fork.

I cranked her in, torqued the axle lock nuts, the main axle nuts and installed the shifter cable housing. 30 minutes later I had cleaned up and rode away.

The old tranny.... can be serviced and reinstalled or set as my backup.

Ill need to realign the key washer and probably hammer it off.
The threads will have to be chased in the very least, and ill be surprised if not with the die.

THe sram style of dual key washers will have to be used in order to double the contact area of the anti-rotation shoulder.

And finally, the state of the axle needs to be monitored for rotation in relation to the forks.

The phenomenon is caused by the IGH which uses the axle internally as a brace for planetary gears, and the momentary impact of the shift.

Conclusion: Being that axle rotation, the tendency of the gas engine to try and shoot the axle out of the sprocket side of the IGH, is the only seemingly weak spot of the unit, it appears to me that I should get limitless service from the gears provided they are kept lubed, and properly tightened.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Dang. If you have trouble like that in the future, you can grip the axle either with a drill chuck, or by grabbing two cheap nuts, locking them together tightly until their flats are in sync, and then vise gripping the heck out of em. Works well to saw cut threaded rod in a vise so that it doesn't spin.

Sounds like a real good setup you got. Easy to maintain. You can easily carry a spare hub when you go on long trips. Got any photos?

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
hrm. the drill chuck idea has merit. Not enough length for the double nut though. Them hubs are heavy and operationally reliable so im not certain I would pack one on an extended tour. I would bring tire tubes and patch kit. I do pack a spare pull-starter. I would pack spare chains and master-links. I would bring a gallon gas can and oil mix. Warm and cold clothing, plus lots of cash for hotel rooms. Id probably fashion a seat that allowed me to be recumbent while resting my feet on the front axle with added BMX pegs. the build thread I think is this one. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40909

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Ah yes, did not think of that. And as far as clamping axle nuts, I've done it on smaller shafts but it would take a good bit of force on a bigger nut, more than what vise grips offer. I would take one and cut it in half, and grip that. Might work.