Gas tank mounting ideas for Kent Del Rio

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Does anyone have any photos or ideas on how to mount a gas tank on a Kent Del Rio? Ive seen a few of them done, but no real good explanation on how to mount the tank across that wide top tube. Seems some people have gotten it low to ride on the frame like it should sit,but i cant figure it out with out cutting down the studs on the tank and i cant fix it if i cut them too short.

thanks.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
thanks 2door, but i used your search result from another thread on the same bike without any help, did try reaching out to some people and haven't heard anything back yet, didn't know if i should resurrected dead and old threads by posting or starting a new one. either way thanks for the help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Feel free to bump an old thread but some of the older ones might be from folks who aren't active anymore. Look for more recent threads. You'll have a better chance of getting a response.

Wish I could offer some advice but I'm not familiar with that particular frame.
Is the issue the width or the depth of the top tube? I extened the tank studs on a bike with a vertically thick top tube. I used 5mm all-thread and coupling nuts.
If your top tube is too wide you might have to fabricate new saddle mounts.

A photo of what you're up against would help us make suggestions.

Tom

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
its the width, i dont have an measurements, but, the studs are to close together to wrap around the top frame, its an aluminum frame and i dont want to drill into it, i seen someone use pipe clamps like for hanging conduit off of ceilings but it elevates the tank off the frame so high you can see thru under it. the function may be there,but for aesthetics it looks kinda funky like that and would look better resting on the frame. There is a video on youtube of a guy who did one where its resting on the top frame bar, but i cant figure out how he pulled it off.

youtube linky here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22Jm6mqDhA

it looks so much neater and cleaner that way, but when i analyze the video it looks like all he used was plumbers strapping and thats all, i cant see how he got the studs to clear the top frame tube. that video makes it look like the tank studs can clear it just fine. its like playing detective to find out what some of these guys have done to make the install easier on me ya know.

Last edited: