Honda GC160

GoldenMotor.com

cantona7

Jul 10, 2012
Arlington VA
Hello all,

I've recently got a hold of a Honda GC160 engine off of a pressure washer and it runs great. Looking to use this on a build.

However, I do have an issue with the flywheel fins. I am working towards a stripped down clean look and the gc160 I have has the cooling fins as part of the flywheel. I saw builds here that use this engine and they all have the plastic removable cooling fins, which makes life a lot easier of course.

So, I was hoping to see if those who used the gc160 with plastic fins could share the model number of their particular engine.

I'm thinking maybe i can just find a flywheel as a replacement part somewhere and use that. Or just get a new engine with the plastic fins.

Thanks.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
You may be able to get an aftermarket flywheel, I'm not sure if they are made for the gc's or if a gx flywheel would fit. Also, if your flywheel is aluminum and not cast iron you may be able to grind down the fins. Look up cobrafreaks build, he used a billet flywheel but ground off the fins for a nice clean look.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I know the GC series and it may be best to just purchase a new motor. We just blew one up a d I should of saved a few parts... Would have sent you the flywheel just to help out.

Let me know if you have any questions.... Ccc

cantona7

Jul 10, 2012
Arlington VA
You may be able to get an aftermarket flywheel, I'm not sure if they are made for the gc's or if a gx flywheel would fit. Also, if your flywheel is aluminum and not cast iron you may be able to grind down the fins. Look up cobrafreaks build, he used a billet flywheel but ground off the fins for a nice clean look.
I tried, there is not a whole lot of aftermarket parts available for the GC160 unfortunately. I would love to upgrade to a alum flywheel, but all the stuff that's available is for GX models.

I know the GC series and it may be best to just purchase a new motor. We just blew one up a d I should of saved a few parts... Would have sent you the flywheel just to help out.

Let me know if you have any questions.... Ccc
Well, if you have the flywheel in one piece, I would love to take that off of your hands.

I checked with them, gave them a call and spoke a little about the GC160, they weren't sure whether the flywheels they have would fit the GC engines, they are all made for the GX models.

I would call them up to see if that would work. There is a difference between a GX and a GC series.
Yes, there is a difference as I am finding out. Might just have to get a new engine. Or buy your flywheel :)

Thanks everyone for their input. I will report back, once I figure out what I am doing (for future reference to other readers).

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about start the engine and set it at a faster ideal and hit it with a grinder untill the fins are gone or smoth. I have seen it done and a lot cheeper then one you can buy........................Curt

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
How about start the engine and set it at a faster ideal and hit it with a grinder untill the fins are gone or smoth. I have seen it done and a lot cheeper then one you can buy........................Curt
I would try what Curt mentioned.

I am sorry to say I threw the motor away about 2 weeks ago, wish I would have saved the flywheel.

cantona7

Jul 10, 2012
Arlington VA
That is a great idea, makes me a little nervous but I'll give it a shot.

I would try what Curt mentioned.

I am sorry to say I threw the motor away about 2 weeks ago, wish I would have saved the flywheel.
Oh, too bad u got rid of it, should have posted something earlier lol, I'll try Curt's advice and give that a shot.

Thanks guys

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
If you take the time to grind the fins down pretty tight it might not cost too much to have a machine shop face it off...? Or better yet do you have a friend with a lathe?

It may also be possible to first break the fins off with a hammer to save you some grinding time( ?) Although I can’t say that for sure as I’m not that familiar with Honda GC’s.

Good luck & don't forget to post photo's! :)

-Kirk

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I took the Hammer approach to the fins. It worked great for me because my flywheel is aluminum. I do not know if it would work so well on the metal version of the flywheel.Some gc160 fly wheels are aluminum and some are metal.