My Neighbors 1939 Montgomery Wards

GoldenMotor.com

BigE

Nov 5, 2011
Hohenwald, TN. USA
A 1939 Montgomery Wards bike is what he started with. It has been modified to say the least.
He did re-spoked a Sturmey Archer 3-Speed with Coaster Brake in the rear.
And the 3 speed only works while peddling but it is shifted with the suicide shifter. He rounded the engine and that's a Tabasco bottle for a boost bottle.
The front forks and seat are original 39MW the frame was modded and he added disk brakes on the front and side care. That's about all I know off the top of my head.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
ok. not trying to be a jerk, and i said, it's a cool lookin' bike, but it's nowhere near 1939.

i've been a bike collector for years. and there were no bikes with oversized downtubes, reflector pedals, 1"chains... (there's more subtle details i could point out...) made in 1939.

it's a modern, cheap cruiser.

again, i gotta say, it's a cool build, but i just believe in being honest....

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Yeah... I agree with baird, there's no way that can be from 39. I hope he didn't pay a lot for it. Anything more than 50$ even with that fork would be too much in my book. (Not trying to be a jerk). And the frameis smilar to my schwinn jaguar 7 speed, walmart bike.

BigE

Nov 5, 2011
Hohenwald, TN. USA
I've been a bike collector for years. and there were no bikes with oversized downtubes, reflector pedals, 1"chains... (there's more subtle details i could point out...) made in 1939.
As I said the frame was modified but the front forks were not with the exception of added disk brakes. I NEVER said it was original, I never said the pedals were original, I know there not. I said he started with a 39MW and he did. If you don't know that the springer front end is original 39MW then, you just don't know.

BigE

Nov 5, 2011
Hohenwald, TN. USA
As mentioned in the 1939 Montgomery Ward catalog, this bike was available with a “Shockmaster” springer fork or 3-plate crown truss fork. The one he has has the Shockmaster.
I'll post pictures of a 39MW front end and a 39 MW. Let everyone judge for themselves.
Compare them with the pictures of his bike.

Attachments