Motorized Bicyclist Gets $100k Insurance Settlement

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Who says stupidity doesn't pay off?

Bicyclist Gets Nearly $100G After Fall on Icy Tr

FLORENCE, Mont. – A bicyclist who was injured when he hit a patch of ice and crashed on a pedestrian/bike path in Florence last winter has reached an out-of-court settlement worth nearly $100,000.

The president of the Florence Park District says he's disappointed in a system that allows a man riding a motorized bicycle on a winter night on a trail that doesn't allow motorized vehicles to receive an insurance settlement. Half of the settlement came from a Florence bar because snow was pushed onto the trail when the bar parking lot was plowed.

John Cornish tells the Ravalli Republic for a story published Monday that people should know riding a bike at night in winter is a little dangerous.

Read more: Bicyclist Gets Nearly $100G After Fall On Icy Trail | Fox News

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Oh great, now anyone that rides anywhere near a trail(or even rides at all) will get harassed for no reason because one asshat crapped his pants in the dark where he shouldn't have been in the first place...

Enjoy our Hobby while we can. :(

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
What happened to people taking the consequenses of their actions? Statistically you guys in America are way too quick to sue people, and last i heard, we over here in Australia are right behind you (like everything else lol)..... sad but true :-(

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Oh great, now anyone that rides anywhere near a trail(or even rides at all) will get harassed for no reason because one asshat crapped his pants in the dark where he shouldn't have been in the first place...

Enjoy our Hobby while we can. :(
How come asshat is allowed, but ass + hole is not?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I just read the article...
they should NOT have plowed.

Once they plowed, they establish the responsibility of doing a good job of it... and the liability when some bozo comes along that may not be able to chew gum and ride a bicycle on a clear, dry evening!

the article clearly states the insurers ponied up because it was the cheap way out...

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I just read the article...
they should NOT have plowed.

Once they plowed, they establish the responsibility of doing a good job of it... and the liability when some bozo comes along that may not be able to chew gum and ride a bicycle on a clear, dry evening!

the article clearly states the insurers ponied up because it was the cheap way out...
Rusty, what's your address, I'd like to slip on your sidewalk :)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
If some idiot chooses to ride his bike in the middle of a Montana winter, at night, and goes down, it should be on his own dime. Add in he was riding a motorized bike on a non-motorized trail and it seems a no brainer. Montana used to be a commonsense place. Maybe it's all the Californians who moved there ;-)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

no, you wouldn't want to at my place, D... I got nuthin that could be took!
gubment got it all!
(this IS Kalifornia!)

anyhow, I got no sidewalks, streetlights, none a that stuff here in this little 2 horse town. but that don't make us safe from a Kalifornia jury!
or the 9th district court!!!

the problem is a proliferation of lawyers.

I really do think people should take responsibility for their actions... the idiot for riding at night, AND those people responsible for plowing improperly... especially when they knew the areas were open to the public.

I've worked with the public quite a bit... special precautions MUST be taken.
and then it seems they are never enough!

One of the biggest factors being in bizness today is liability. Open your doors to the public, look out!

Gosh, the stories I could tell ! Got beer? lol

Best
rc

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Elect me .. I will send everyone ( and their lawyer ) that tries to sue for something stupid to prison for 60 days .
you know .. like the one that burnt themself on a hot cup of mcdonalds coffee .
or the one that crashed a motorhome after putting it on cruise control and going in the back to make a pot of coffee .

Makes me sick .

The city has taken out most of the playground equiptment in my town , because some lady sued the city after her daughter fell off a swing and scraped her knee .

because of that one idiot ... theres no playgrounds for the kids anymore . and the stuff they did leave in is rediculously lame .

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
sometimes I say " when your dumb you suffer " in this case it seems that HIS stupidity paid off ! things like this sadden me an take away from my confidence in the american legal system .
Gary