Who says it doesn't get cold in Alabama?

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I just had to share this with you guys.
I work in the automotive industry. We are an ISO certified company. For those who may not know what that means, ISO is a quality and environmental standard of operation that many companies adopt to try and improve their business. We have been having our yearly audit the past few days. There were 2 auditors, one from Canada and one from Detroit. They came to our plant Monday morning. The temp outside was not so bad, high 40's F. As we got into the audit and started talking, both of them started telling us that it doesn't get that cold in Alabama. I guess with neither of them being from here, they thought they knew from reading about it or something. None of us said anything. They are from generally colder environments, so we just shrugged it off. Yesterday morning, it was time for them to audit our outdoor operations. Our facility requires hard hats, steel toe shoes, and safety glasses, so we provided them with these items and then gave a reminder of the temp outside if they would like to get their coats before we went outside. Both of them started laughing at us and one of them sarcastically said, "We are from the North and it doesn't get that cold here! I think we can handle it.", as they both continued to laugh. We all looked at each other, in agreement, and replied, "OK!" We ventured to the outdoor area and the temp was around 32F. Kind of brisk for us southerners. As we got into the audit, about 10 minutes, I looked at the one that so sarcastically blew off getting his coat. He was absolutely shaking in his shoes. He couldn't quit shaking. I thought something may be wrong with him, so I politely paused the other auditor, which was slurring his speach little, and asked the shaker if anything was wrong. He could be having some sort of episode, is what kept running through my mind. We are going to have to call the paramedics for this guy. Through his chattering teeth, he mumbled, "Jesus Christ! It's damn cold out here!" I thought all of us wimpy southerners were going to pee ourselves horse laughing this guy. He got so upset with us laughing at him that he left. I don't mean he went inside, I mean he departed the premesis and went back to his hotel. We found out this morning that he went back to Detroit last night, so we finished our audit with the other guy. He brought his coat today. I've heard a lot of people from northern places say that it is a different kind of cold here. "A real wet cold," is what they say. I can say that when I lived in Washington state for a short time, I remember playing ball in the snow in a short sleeve shirt and being comfortable. I don't know if that is a "dry" cold, but I surely wouldn't attempt that here. Of course, I'm a lot older now too. All I know is when it's cold, it's cold. Doesn't matter where you are from. It's also kind of funny to watch such an arrogant person get knocked down a step or two. Everybody needs it now and then.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Good for you. It does get cold here in Mississippi too. I spent 3 1/2 years in northern Maine (Limestone/Caribou) and remember moving missles out of the maintainance hangar in teeshirts with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. But also saw 20 below there, no teeshirts then.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I'd take that dry cold any day of the week over wet cold. The wet cold seems to just go right through you.

Either way, it's going to be cold if you're just standing out in it and not doing anything to exert blood flow. The colder it is, the more blood you got to keep moving depending on how well you're dressed for it.

The coldest I've ever "played in" was 50* below and that is COLD, but I've heard Alaska can see temps at 70* below, so thankfully I may never know what that is!

.sno.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I worked in a Flav'o'rich ice cream factory for a very short time. I was in what they called "the freezer." It was about an 80,000 square foot warehouse that was 60 below year round. It was so cold that you were limited to 20-30 minutes of work and then 15-20 minute break. Any facial hair would catch the moisture from your breath and freeze on your face. The worst part was that these big rolling racks that we had to fill with ice cream to load onto trucks were kept outside where it might be 100 degrees. Many people had fainting spells and some strokes due to going in and out all day. I didn't make it long there, about 3 months.

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
When the humidity is high the heat is drawn out of exposed areas of the body much faster than when the humidity is low. We know how muich colder water at 32 feels than air at 32. A given volume of water takes 7 times the energy as air to raise temperature the same amount. So, it's a given that humid air feels colder then dry air.

Tom