Silencing a 2 stroker

GoldenMotor.com

beadomtroy

Nov 13, 2009
Washington, DC
Would anybody mind sharing their ideas/knowledge in silencing a stock 2 stroke motor without sacrificing too much power. I recently finished my first build, a 2 stroke motor on a Micargi rover gt. I've had my share of problems but my biggest issue is the noise. It gets pretty loud during WOT. thanks in advance.

.shft.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I would prefer less noise as well but at the cost of any power at all, notta. These motors don't have enough power to spare, anything less would be felt too much I would say.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I did a combination of a remote airbox;

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

and an extended silencer on the SBP system (glasspack);

I'm quite satisfied with the results, as there's little to no change in restriction there wasn't any performance loss... actually I shoulda made the silencer even a lil longer but, ah well lol

Just last week a complete stranger said "Hey that's nice and quiet" instead of commenting on the fact it was a motorized bike... confused the heck outa me I tell ya o_O

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
This is an idea I am messing with. I am still building and have not fired the engine yet so I can't make any claims to it's effectiveness. I offer it up as food for thought. It feels like you could drain a lake when you blow through the utility muffler so I'm not too worried about restriction. The through-put is roughly 5/8". Good luck with finding your solution.

Attachments

beadomtroy

Nov 13, 2009
Washington, DC
Thanks for all the responses. Any more suggestions are always appreciated. I'm going let you guys know what I end up doing and how much quieter it gets. Thanks.brnot

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
This is an idea I am messing with. I am still building and have not fired the engine yet so I can't make any claims to it's effectiveness. I offer it up as food for thought. It feels like you could drain a lake when you blow through the utility muffler so I'm not too worried about restriction. The through-put is roughly 5/8". Good luck with finding your solution.

K.I.P. I like the new muffler keep us posted

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Try some rubber blocks or short pieces of rubber hose in the cylinder fins.

And sheet rubber or an old mouse pad on the gearcase.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
all of what these guys said is good advise, if i were you, id take the cap off of your exaust and use a big juice can with fiberglass insulation in it. The bigger your muffler the less restrictive it is and the quieter you can make it. Anyway, play around with it and im sure you can make a setup that will be both quieter and higher performance than stock.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Update and preliminary results. I finally reached the test run stage this week and got to do an evaluation of my exhaust set up. After brazing up a rupture in the manifold where the heat shield nut was welded on this system is incredibly quiet.

It did seem to be a little bit on the restrictive side however. I think the primary culprit was the stock muffler pea shooter tail pipe. I removed the end cap and drilled out the stock pipe. I replaced it with a stubby bit of stainless tubing brazed into place and seemed to have regained some power with virtually no increase in noise.

This set up is probably not for the performance minded but for those seeking stealth it works pretty darn well. I am running a 48cc slant. I have not run things enough to dial it all in but I am happy with the results. The last photo shows the stock tail pipe resting inside of the replacement tube.

Attachments