I thought I was being smart

GoldenMotor.com

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I am confused.

I thought I was being smart. I wanted to run lights off the engine, but I have had trouble running off the white wire. So, I thought, why not put another winding on top of the stock coils? This additional coil would not be electrically connected to the stock wires. So, I put about 250 windings on, fired up the engine, and measured 4-6 vac. Looks good. Connected the new coil to an LED tail light. Worked! WooHOOO! I am loving it.

But then I attached an incandescent bulb... and the engine died just like hitting the kill switch. I tried it repeatedly with the same results.

So, my question is Why? Why does a coil that is not connected to the engine's wires OR the ground kill the spark?:-||

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Um, just because you're using coils doesn't mean your electricity is coming from magical fairyland. You're still increasing the load on the magneto's output by adding another coil and a bulb, thus robbing the plug of already precious little energy. One of the advantages of transformers is that they have an isolating effect, meaning the grounds don't need to be connected. They have special isolation transformers with a 1:1 ratio so TV repairmen don't kill themselves.

Last edited:

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
Um, just because you're using coils doesn't mean your electricity is coming from magical fairyland. You're still increasing the load on the magneto's output by adding another coil and a bulb, thus robbing the plug of already precious little energy. One of the advantages of transformers is that they have an isolating effect, meaning the grounds don't need to be connected. They have special isolation transformers with a 1:1 ratio so TV repairmen don't kill themselves.
I know it doesn't come from fairyland. It comes from changing magnetic fields. What I don't understand is why an additional bundle of copper would disrupt the field's effect on the original coils.

I know Norman has lights..... they look good, but aren't quite the look I am going for.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It’s the law what does it!

The law of conservation of energy. The magneto produces a limited amount of energy - there is only so much that the rotating magnetic field can make. Your additional coil of wire collects much of the available energy in the magnetic field causing electrons to move through the coil's wire, which is electrical energy. The light bulb converts the electrical energy to visible light and heat (two other forms of energy), which are radiated out into space - leaving not enough energy for the ignition coil.

The LED draws way less current (uses less energy) than the incandescent bulb.

If your idea had worked, you’d be well on your way to creating a perpetual motion machine.

All is not lost. Insulate and wrap the ends of the new wires. If the original coil fails, the “backup coil” may get you going again. Tell everyone you designed it that way on purpose.

Last edited: