Review of New "Classic Cruiser Comfort" Frame

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hi guys. I want to make a review of a new style of cruiser frame after installing an engine kit on it. Its new where I am, from Canadian Tire and Superycle, that replaced their "Jaguar" style frames earlier this year. They call it Classic Cruiser 26-in Comfort Bike

This is the bike I'm talking about:

Now upon looking at that pic the first time, I thought "okay, so they put a derpy little bar by the head stock, big deal, ...pass."

Right? To be honest, at first glance it just looks like another cheapy cruiser bike. But last week I got my hands on one, and I gotta say I was very surprised, for a $160 bike at least. Lets take a closer look at this steel framed jem.

(click on pics to make larger)

The very first thing I have to mention is this:

Look at that again. There's a huge support on the left-side dropout area. Not on the pedal side, the motor drive side!

That's wild, eh? Here's a closer look:

Note that their were no chain clearance issues whatsoever. Not a one. The extra bolt on the idler bracket is a drilled/tapped shorty-lock-bolt, it doesn't go all the way through.

Next, lets have a look at the other ends of the stays. The chainstay's are substantial all the way forward, and are a "vertical oval shape", so I probably don't even need the idler bracket lock-bolt, but better safe than sorry.

I'll let the seat-stay to seat-post mounting speak for themselves:

They're huge! And properly butted against the back of the seat post, instead of welded onto the side of it. Major fail point avoided, major points for Supercycle. (Note the welded mounting nuts for the heavy-duty rack that came with it)

Continued in Post #2...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Lets get back to the bar by the head post I thought was derpy before. Its actually pretty solid looking after closer inspection:

Next up is the forks. It's a coaster brake bike, so I add a front caliper. It's still better than just a coaster, this is a budget bike remember. But anyways, the forks are the same size tubing as the top tube, no taper, and a mandrel bend. Capped and vented on the bottom. A lot more solid than the tapered forks they used to use:

I did need to use a wide down tube front mount, but didn't have to clearance the pedal chain cover at all. Thumb width clearance there, thanks to the shape of the down tube.

Keep your eye's open for one of these frames. Whether you want a solid cruiser style to boot around on, or something to build for the general public. The kit went on like warm butter on bread. So guess what I was doing this afternoon...

(forgot to take a pic before the ratchet straps came off)

It is a budget bike, so it has budget paint and budget fender mount tabs. (I didn't get to the fender mounts today, but I'll post more pics when I get them on.) But for how solid the frame and forks are, and how easily it went together... This is a really great budget bike.

So yea, bike designers are noticing how many of us are putting kits on their budget frames, either for fun or sole transportation. They're also noting how and where they fail. This frame is a perfect example of them paying attention to us.

Thanks for reading!
Greg.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
It looks like you're right. That bike seems to be built specifically for motorizing.
It makes me wonder if someone isn't watching us and anticipating that their bikes might one day end up with a motor installed.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but did you say that this bike replaces the original Jaguar? Would that be the Schwinn Jaguar? Same price range. The Jag used to go for $150 USD.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks,
CT use to have the "Jag style"(I mean that only as a reference for the "twin smaller bent tube" that everyone is accustomed to. But they've replaced it with this way more awesome bike. This is just my Canadian Tire so far, where I can get Supercycle, I think their a re-branded Schwinn, but not 100% sure on that....

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
They might be selling them deliberately as motor-bicycle frames in another market. Like you said, a lot of stuff now is asian made and just rebranded under whichever brand that will sell somewhere. Schwinn is a popular brand in the USA. Someone even told me recently they are a "Schwinn Snob". hahaha. I have one, and it's ok, but I'm not married to it.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I dont like it. Leaves me cold. Gives me a chilly feeling way down deep. I'd give it the cold shoulder. WAIT! Does it have to come with the ice and snow? Or is that optional? laff HAHahahaa Honestly: Thats a good looking bike in so many ways. Looks like a HS 4 stroke would go in there with no problem also! Very nice review and a nice heads up for us. Ima gonna doo some searching and see if these can be had in the States. That extra bracing in the rear is very cool and its good to know their are reasonalby priced options out there besides the thin walled Wally world poo. Thanks for the good lookout killer! PS: Only bout 60deg F here today; and freezing my a$$ off. :) EDIT: Have you decided if the metal is steel or alum? Not that it really matters built as it is, but still good to know.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Good question Velodrome, I had one handy so I slapped in on and took a couple pics. The stock aircleaner would have to go. The stock HS exhaust either needs a bend, or most ppl go with flexhose anyway. But the mounting plate fit perfect, and lots of room up top.

Its definitely a Beefy Steel Frame.

A bend in the exhaust where my thumb is in the last pic would give enough clearance for the frame. And the crank is a one piece, would have to convert to 3 for the kit ones, or find a wide one, or bend...

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WOW Killer; that was quick! How close is that sprocket to the seat tube? Hard to tell in 2D. That frame would looks so good with a keg seatpost tank! EDIT: Looking closer at your pics; seems that if you moved the motor UP say an inch or so you might have room for both intake and exhaust on a stock kit. Lots of room to go verticle. Hummm... HF 99cc...I wonder...

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Just revisited this thread checking for updates and noticed something... This is HARD CORE. Gotta be -20 C in the pic. Notice: Dude still has his window air conditioner set up and ready to go! PS: Killer. Any updates on these frames?

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks like a HF 79cc might fit in there too.......is the headset 1" or 1-1/8"? You know I would stuff a tiny little alloy tank in the frame if for racing :D

Nice looking frame Greg, the only mod I would like is rear entry horizontal drop outs and that's about it. Nice write-up killer!

dnut

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks scotto! It does have the 1 1/8 headset. Horz dropouts would be sweet. I could see you cramming a tank in there. I could see a horn shape pointing forward for more volume, heh heh.

Thought I'd add a couple more pics. One with a pull/centri HT, and an HS. Had to block the HS plate to raise it some to get clearance for the air cleaner, and the pipe had to twist and bend in to clear the frame and front fender.

Oh, and had to widen the cranks too:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' awesome Killer!

My personal favorite style of motorized bicycle. Classic 50s looking black cruiser.