Super Rat USA message from Don Grubee

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I just wrote to Grubee asking when (or if) the Super Rat would be available here. I'll quote below:
ME: "When last I enquired, the SuperRat was going to be available in the spring in the USA, it's now August, is it still EPA issues or what?"

Grubee: "Yes sir it's or what; EPA issues but with the right political connections and greasing of the palm with US Customs in CA. anything can be done. Look at EBay advertised engines without any Bicycle engine EPA COC, who's palm are they greasing? EPA officials in charge go silent about that if you ask them. We have 500 70cc SuperRats setting on the shelf in our factory looking for a home but they can't swim across the whale pasture because bureaucrats like shooting at sitting ducks.

Best Regards and Happy Trails
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." – Plato
Don Grube"

ME: "This is very sad, I belong to the motorbicycling forum and there are several members (including myself) very interested in one. I sincerely hope you can connect with a politically savy dealer here in the USA soon. Best wishes, ..."

So it sounds like it's going to be more of a wait. bummer.

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
How many of us would like to be able to purchase one, and what can we do about it? We have some dealers as part of this forum. I guess it will be expensive for whatever retailer has to pay for the EPA fees in order to sell this engine, but I'm certain the volume of sales of the single USA retailer would more than cover these fees. According to Grubee's site, it will be in the neighborhood of $30,000. Maybe a pre-order situation where the interested customers could partially pay for their engines ahead of time to help raise the funds for the EPA fees. This is just one idea. I think eventually whomever becomes the vendor. will be very successful.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
sounds like a bunch of crap to me. If the eBay dealers can get engines into the country, why cant he? this is exactly why I will never buy any grubee crap. I buy my engines on eBay, and they dont tell me I have to wait six months before I can have the engine I want. You ask me, grubee is a fly-by-night company. screw 'em.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
had a grubee since 2008 have no idea how many miles are on it but its up there and still runs great i will say i re-ring every 5 gal i use vp sef 50;1 premix w 1 cap full /2 oz. per gallon light smoke no plug fouling also i ride that bike in cooler weather delorto carb and high comp. head also but no probs yet knock on wood .

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
replace the piston rings every 5 gallons of fuel? I think thats a little excessive. no disrespect. thats between every 500 and 600 miles depending what kind of mileage your getting. I could see every 1000 or 1200 miles maybe. my engine is a year and a half old. only thing I have replaced so far was a couple blown mags. and its got more than 1200 miles on it, that much I know for sure. plus, I had a grubee 66cc engine, and the performance didnt even compare to the bgf engine. My bgf engine has twice the compression my grubee did, and they were both 66cc slant heads, both stock. my grubee engine had no cajones. my bgf engine has such high compression it usually take two bumps to get started when cold.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
i had a grubee, not problems with the engine but the cns carb kept falling off and other parts of the kit gave me h3ll, but the engine was great. i wish grubee would make an engine with better porting design, people would buy it. the sr, i've heard, has it's hoast of problems.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
they are probably never going to sell an engine with good porting right from the factory, because they make these engines as cheap as possible. designing better ports costs money the manufacturers will never want to spend.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
they could change the timing at nearly no cost but different molds. we can clean up the ports for better flow. also wouldn't cost them anything the increase crank compression but about $.10 in aluminum. in a few years i could make jugs with iron cylinders, need a lathe, mill, and TIME! pistons too. i see so much opportunity for improvement, it kills me i can't do it now.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I re-ringed my motor once in its almost 5000 mile life. My secret is no ethanol fuel, I personally run leaded fuel, two smokes love lead, and after she got to 2500 miles I went to 4 ounces synthetic plus 1.5 ounces castor oil. Only other mods is I cleaned the ports, milled the head and jug, and I had my piston skirts hard coated and teflon treated.