Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Couple shots from the shop. This is the new Sportsman Flyer Racer Edition. A stretch and loop Flyer frame using a widened Worksman rear triangle. 9.4 hp Morini engine with custom mounts. Front and rear drum brakes on steel Worksman rims. One of my stainless laser cut tanks designed for this frame model. This thing is going to haul ass!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
We have talked about a chain guard as a posibility. The chain is really only about 4" longer than on a standard frame. Does look long, though.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
i like those crank arms. did you bend those to clear the Morini or is that something you bought? the clearance issue is frustrating me on my build.

beautiful work on the frames, BTW. bet she'll scream with that 9.4!

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The crank is custom. A nice big vice, piece of pipe for leverage, and a lot of heat. Cool it all off when done with a cold beer. The beer is for you as it gets hot bending cranks. This engine is sitting centered in the frame and has perfect chain alignment on both sides.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Pat what's up with the hubs? Both Worksman I presume, how's the sprocket attached to the rear? you didn't show that side of the bike. Looks awesome though, a "work" of art, lol.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Darren,
Finally someone notices the hubs. That is not a Worksman rear hub, although it is a perfect match to the Works front drum brake hub. It is 130mm wide for correct centerlines of sprockets and has a 44t motor side and 18t bicycle side freewheel. I lace these hubs into the Worksman wheels.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Yes, it is a drum brake rear. I figured with 9.4 hp brakes would be important! Cool thing is I have been able to maintain engine and frame centerlines. This Morini is not offset to the right. The crank was a challange and I tried all the available options, none of which have the standard one piece crank sprocket mounting. So when you can't find what you need you make it. My bro has been helping a huge amount on this project. When it came to the crank assembly I held the torch and he handled the leverage with a big piece of pipe. Problem solved! Front bicycle side is a 28t Worksman sprocket.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
spring loaded tensioner?
Tensioner is not spring loaded. The idler sprocket is an industrial idler for a #41 chain and mounts to a laser cut slotted tab that is tig welded to the frame. Bike uses #41 chain on both motor and bicycle side of bike.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Pat, any chance of having of set of these wheels made up for me? I got a decent check coming in the next month and really want dual drums for my stretch build. PM what you think it would cost, thanks!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Darren,
Finally someone notices the hubs. That is not a Worksman rear hub, although it is a perfect match to the Works front drum brake hub. It is 130mm wide for correct centerlines of sprockets and has a 44t motor side and 18t bicycle side freewheel. I lace these hubs into the Worksman wheels.

Thats one of the first things I noticed when you posted the Morini flyer in the other Flyer thread, I was asking about rear drums in a post last week, are You planning on selling just the SCP line of HD Wheels? Pat You are coming up with some fine stuff..Kudos!!! When is -: S P O R T S M A N F L Y E R :- going to be up?

Cheers

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
[QUOTEWhen is -: S P O R T S M A N F L Y E R :- going to be up?

Cheers[/QUOTE]
The web page that is on line now is just a space saver. The real site is in test mode but coming along nicely. It will list most of my products and you'll be able to purchase on line. There will be a parts and bikes section, a history section, a news section where I will post upcoming products, and others. I have a day job so the added exposure of a web site and the additional business it will generate is a concern. I hope I can keep up. As for my own line of wheels that is a cool idea. I prefer the aluminum Worksman wheels and even had a set annodized black for my Panther build. These wheels can get pricey as the wheels alone delivered are around $240. Once I receive the wheels I then disassemble the rear and replace both the hub and spokes. Unfortunately, if you want the best it's gonna cost you. For the Racer model it is a mandatory option.

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Yea, I wondered why nobody noticed the hubs myself, it actually took a fair amout of effort to figure out what to run. I have been building the wheels for all of these projects, and I will say these hubs are the bomb. They utilize the same basic casting as the worksman front hubs but have much heavier guts. Rear axles are 12mm in diameter (nearly 1/2 inch) and the fronts are nearly as heavy at 11mm. They are just about as stout as they come, much heavier than std bicycle stuff.

The fact they also have dual sprockets out of box is the real secret. No clamp on sprocket adapters here folks, these are superior to anything else out there short of motorcycle hubs. With our foray into real horse power, we needed the hardware to stop these machines, but that is really only the beginning.

For most, these bikes have a nice loop and good lines, but that is only the start. These are truly spec bikes -literally. Pat has full CAD drawings for the frames and each bike is built to actual blueprints. It took quite awile to do the initial engineering and to build the first bike, but now the bikes are entering the production phase. Each bike will be precision built to the same exacting standards. Designed and built in the USA! How many builders can make that claim? The fit and finish are first rate.

We are two short weeks away from the maiden voyage of the Morini motored models. The first China motored version was built weeks ago, and already the Whizzer models are rolling out. Pat already has 5 framesets done and the next 10 are already spoken for.

Better get in line now...

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat & The SportsmanFlyer Family,

Any updates on final photo shoot for website products & the Sportsman Racer prototypes performance testing, pic's etc etc...

Kudos to all, who are or have been contributing to the success of Pat & The Sportsman Flyer Family!

I know I know patience is a virtue, I'm excited and can't wait, however I know you are working very hard to make it the best of the best!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Crazyhorse,
The website is still being worked on. As for updates to the Morini and Whizzer models they are still progressing. I had to back off for a couple weeks due to various reasons, but should be back in the shop in a few more days. The Racer prototype is basically ready to fire up and test it's handling characteristics. I will update shortly.
Pat