RAM motor on scooter without pedals

GoldenMotor.com

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
I decided to try something different. I am building a scooter without any pedals. I bought a pull start kit for an 80cc RAM motor and I also will be able to do a bump start. I am mounting the engine higher up to clear the rear frame without using an idler. Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
That's a really long unsupported fork, attached to a really short, poorly supported head tube. I bet that thing has noteworthy handling issues.

A long head tube with a short fork is much better.

Chalo

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I decided to try something different. I am building a scooter without any pedals. I bought a pull start kit for an 80cc RAM motor and I also will be able to do a bump start. I am mounting the engine higher up to clear the rear frame without using an idler. Here is what it looks like.
Ram? It is a RAW brand...

What size are those wheels?
You are going to have a very low top speed with that stock 44 tooth sprocket.

16" wheel would top out at only 19 MPH at 7300 RPM

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
That's a really long unsupported fork, attached to a really short, poorly supported head tube. I bet that thing has noteworthy handling issues.

A long head tube with a short fork is much better.

Chalo
I used this chassis with a different engine and the forks worked just fine. The only issue I had with is with a front brake they dis shudder a bit.

gstrope

Feb 19, 2009
texas
Ram? It is a RAW brand...

What size are those wheels?
You are going to have a very low top speed with that stock 44 tooth sprocket.

16" wheel would top out at only 19 MPH at 7300 RPM
Sorry, yes it is RAW brand. 20 mph top spedd will be good for this build.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
I used this chassis with a different engine and the forks worked just fine. The only issue I had with is with a front brake they dis shudder a bit.
Well, here's what I say: You could cure the brake chatter, uncertain cornering, accelerated headset wear, speed wobble, frame cracking, and all other ill effects of excessive front end flex just by using normal length forks that are supported lower over the wheel.

Cushman did not use long unsupported legs on their forks! That's not an arbitrary design decision on their part; it's the safe and correct way to do it.

Chalo