Mounting a fuel tank on bikes with bare cable on the top tube

GoldenMotor.com

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Ok, so I've attached a pic of mine, however mine is temporary, and made out of some junk I had laying around.

You need:
A dremel/angle grinder
Drill
2x U-Bolts
A sheet of real solid metal (read down and you'll see roughly what size)
If your fuel tank didn't come with self locking nuts, buy some.
A bunch of washers, the same size as the U-Bolt

Find the diameter of the tube (wrap a piece of string around it, measure it, divide by 3.14). This is how big the U-Bolt needs to be, go buy 2.

Take out a U-Bolt, and remove both the nuts, and take off the little piece of metal, keep it.

Use that piece of metal, and trace it onto your metal plate twice. These don't need to be the same size as the original ones, just make them look pretty. Drill the holes in them.

Now, take your U-Bolts, and your two new metal pieces, and put the metal piece under the wires, then put the U-bolt under the bar, and through the piece of metal. Now Just add a bunch of washers on both sides of the U-Bolt, until they're above the wires (you want a bit of clearence). Now what happens, is you want to create 2 metal plates, with four holes. 2 holes go over the U-Bolt, 2 hold the tank down, refer to the second pic.

Bolt down the piece of metal on the U-Bolts, however don't tighten them to much, as you'll need to move them up and down to get them right.

Now, get your gas tank, and you need to put it through the four holes, to get the U-Bolts in place. Once you think the U-Bolts are in the right place, tighten them right up, and cut off the excess of the U-Bolt (file it to perfection if you want looks).

Put the gas tank on, and screw it in. As mentioned in the parts list, make sure they're self locking, otherwise they'll vibrate lose. Or loctite them or something real good.

And you're done. PM me, or post here with questions.

(I'll upload better/more pics when I get some better metal)

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Mossy

radrob

May 2, 2009
Tacoma Washington
if you can get a extra set of fuel tank straps. you can sandwitch the frame with them. first run a nut all the way or almost all the way to the tank on all four studs. take the first straps and put it on the frame onder the cables. set tank down on the straps. the nuts will space it off the frame enough to clear the cables. now use the second set or make a secomd set for the under side. works great. the 3/4 gallon tankes work better. longer studs also thicker.
if you need i will take a pic tonight.

Scooterpimp

Jul 14, 2010
Delaware???
Ok, so I've attached a pic of mine, however mine is temporary, and made out of some junk I had laying around.

You need:
A dremel/angle grinder
Drill
2x U-Bolts
A sheet of real solid metal (read down and you'll see roughly what size)
If your fuel tank didn't come with self locking nuts, buy some.
A bunch of washers, the same size as the U-Bolt

Find the diameter of the tube (wrap a piece of string around it, measure it, divide by 3.14). This is how big the U-Bolt needs to be, go buy 2.

Take out a U-Bolt, and remove both the nuts, and take off the little piece of metal, keep it.

Use that piece of metal, and trace it onto your metal plate twice. These don't need to be the same size as the original ones, just make them look pretty. Drill the holes in them.

Now, take your U-Bolts, and your two new metal pieces, and put the metal piece under the wires, then put the U-bolt under the bar, and through the piece of metal. Now Just add a bunch of washers on both sides of the U-Bolt, until they're above the wires (you want a bit of clearence). Now what happens, is you want to create 2 metal plates, with four holes. 2 holes go over the U-Bolt, 2 hold the tank down, refer to the second pic.

Bolt down the piece of metal on the U-Bolts, however don't tighten them to much, as you'll need to move them up and down to get them right.

Now, get your gas tank, and you need to put it through the four holes, to get the U-Bolts in place. Once you think the U-Bolts are in the right place, tighten them right up, and cut off the excess of the U-Bolt (file it to perfection if you want looks).

Put the gas tank on, and screw it in. As mentioned in the parts list, make sure they're self locking, otherwise they'll vibrate lose. Or loctite them or something real good.

And you're done. PM me, or post here with questions.

(I'll upload better/more pics when I get some better metal)
Had same Issue with my schwinn 5 spd cruiser. , I just twisted off cable tubes on frame & used regular fully sheathed cables ran down sides of upper tube between tank & clamps. (Rear brake & derailer).bf.

Scrumby

Aug 5, 2022
I just got a spring, about 4 inches
Long, stretched it out, coiled it
around the bare cables, like a cork screw.
Mounted the tank, it went better than
Expected, no cable binding, and tank
Is secure.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Mossy

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Scumby, welcome to the forum. You probably didn’t notice the last post in this thread was 12 years ago, only Venice M B is still active. You have a good idea, more people will see it if you start a new thread with pictures and details.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry