80cc Slant head install, now issues :(

GoldenMotor.com

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
OK...So i installed my slant head on my happytime motor today. It started on the 2nd or 3rd pull. GREAT! It sounded nice and throaty, idled nice, etc etc.

I let it warm up and took it for a spin. HOLY JEEZ! This thing took off like i wasnt even on it.

I got about 1 mile down the road and noticed if im in a higher gear (numerically) and i gassed it full throttle, it seems like i have a whole lot more carb noise.

Normal?

next thing:

I brought it back home and parked it to recheck my head nuts. They were fine and tight.

I let it cool had some lunch, then went to go again.

Now, it wont start. And im lifting the bike up while pulling on the start cord when im sitting on it. It turns over, but the pull is so intense that it really really hurts my hands. Im no weak person either (22 years old, bike mechanic, etc etc...im used to using my hands).

A couple times it would backfire...which clued me to check for spark.

Yeah, i have spark....i laid the spark plug on the head with the plug wire attached and pulled. It is sparking.

I have fuel because i primed it so much that fuel started coming out of the primer button (only when i pumped it, not constantly)

I checked the spark plug and it was wet.

So what do i do now?

I have spark, fuel and air....but no go....:-||

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
i had it full, off, 1/2, and everywhere inbetween, haha.

thanks for the response though.

my hand hurts too much to keep trying. Maybe i flooded it? I will let it sit overnight and hopefully everything will evaporate.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Do you mean the pull start is unnaturally stiff somehow? Is it that way when the plug is out and there's no compression? If so the maybe you've got a faulty bearing in the motor. How does it pedal, or do you not have a pedal start too?

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
without the plug, it is fine.. just the high compression head is killer, haha.

Im about to go try to start it now...

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Mine came as a slant head and when the engine cools i have to close the choke till it turns over then open it up and im all good to go

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
it is hard to pull cause u just bumped up the comp and replace the plug you could have fouled it just because you have spark doesnt mean the plug is good try that first

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
ok, so i put the old head back on and it runs... no backfiring, nothing...

THOUGH... the idle was pretty low (would die if i let the throttle out)... i think my cable stretched or the housing collapsed on itself a little.

I now have my idle screw set right, so it idles well.

I took it for a spin and all is well.

hm... maybe i should get a thicker spacer for the head so i dont have QUITE so much compression...

DJEEPER

Nov 9, 2009
Yorktown
WOO! Thanks to Willi, im back on the road again! I do still have a little bit of an issue starting, but my compression is not jerking the pull start out of my hand anymore!

I still have a little issue with it starting, but i feel like its the B6HS sparkplug being too cool in the 50* weather. I ordered a B5HS spark plug and i think it will be better.
Once it starts though, WOO! watch out, cuz out of my cul de sac, im in 5th gear before my turn where i would normally be in 3rd.

Thanks man, i owe you a round of beers!
2 head gaskets work much better than 1 in my case.