Engine seems bogged down

GoldenMotor.com

hawaiicruiser

Oct 19, 2009
Hawaii
I have a new 66cc engine on a beach cruiser only have about 50 miles on it.

When I run the engine at speed it runs good but if I stop and let it idle, like at a light, when I start up again it seems to be bogged down for a bit. It almost seems like the plug gets flooded and needs to burn off the excess before the power comes back. This happens each time I stop at a light.

Any ideas?

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
are you pedal assisting at the start up ...do pedal first to get the bike going before bringing in the motor to assist with the heavy load?? Do u slowly turn the crank to lubricate cylinder before you start motor?? do you let the motor idle for at least 3 min. after cold start?? When your finished ridding do you let the motor idle before turning it off??

hawaiicruiser

Oct 19, 2009
Hawaii
Blakenstein

I've been letting it warm up from a cold start. I do pedal to get the bike rolling before I bring in the motor on but when I bring in the engine I have to pedal like a mad fool to wind the engine up before it will take off. Sometimes it will give a little backfire pop as well.

oh yeah the first few day's I was riding this did not happen it's just recently.

Have not been letting it idle after taking it our for a ride. I'll start that one.

My fuel mix is around 20:1...too much oil?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds a little rich (fuel to air) and is definitely rich on the oil to fuel mix.

First you have to get the oil to fuel mix right, then you can tune the carb a little by moving the "C" clip on the slide needle.

If your spark plug is oily, black and nasty move the C clip UP one notch.

If the plug is light gray or white, move the C clip DOWN one notch.

After you make ANY change, run the bike for awhile before you check the plug again or make other changes.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Blakenstein

I've been letting it warm up from a cold start. I do pedal to get the bike rolling before I bring in the motor on but when I bring in the engine I have to pedal like a mad fool to wind the engine up before it will take off. Sometimes it will give a little backfire pop as well.

oh yeah the first few day's I was riding this did not happen it's just recently.

Have not been letting it idle after taking it our for a ride. I'll start that one.

My fuel mix is around 20:1...too much oil?
Mix your oil according to the requirements of your engine specifications should be in your manual. I'm safe between 24&30 to one with gas/oil ratio but my motor is different from yours. I know that when I'm too rich the motor will not low idle because of less octane. Also make sure your exhaust pipe is clean. On my motor,all it takes is a little oil build up to stall my motor under load. A clean air filter is also important. Gas line could be getting clogged, spark plug could be fowled up and improper gap even the inside of plug cap gets dirty and interferes. With these 2 cycle motors it's either spark, intake or out take. For the rest, listen to Bikeguy Joe about gas/air he knows about your motor....

Did you ever do anything to your motor to try to improve performance???

hawaiicruiser

Oct 19, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks for your replies.

I have changed my fuel/oil mix but have not had a chance to run it yet. I'll report back after my ride to work tomorrow.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Listen to Joe.
And remember, adding less oil will effectively richen your air/fuel mixture. You can see that by adding less oil you effectively are adding more fuel. Richness of oil and richness of fuel are two different things. When someone says "rich" about an engine they 99.9% are referring to fuel and not oil richness.
If the problem worsens after your new ratio, consider your rich-sounding issue from before. The bogging sounds like a rich fuel issue. A better air cleaner might improve things BUT do what's right and tune it correctly(re-jet) for that setup THEN move on to adding any mods.
Keep us informed,
Dave
KC

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
By adding less oil, you are at the time adding more OCTANE,not more fuel ;the same amount of fuel is there, but less amount of oil. The gas will be more potent

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a new 66cc engine on a beach cruiser only have about 50 miles on it.

When I run the engine at speed it runs good but if I stop and let it idle, like at a light, when I start up again it seems to be bogged down for a bit. It almost seems like the plug gets flooded and needs to burn off the excess before the power comes back. This happens each time I stop at a light.

Any ideas?

Yes, it sounds like you may be a bit rich. Also, how low do you have your idle?

hawaiicruiser

Oct 19, 2009
Hawaii
ride was the same so I decided to take the carb apart and have a look....

The brass bolt that sits in the middle of the float was unscrewed and was just sitting there, screwed it back in and it seems to have solved the problem.

No issues on the ride to work today she ran great.

Next project... reduce some of the vibration.