Monark fork, death trap?

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
I have read some bad things about the monark fork replicas that you see around. Has any one had issues with these? I was looking at one for sale from venice motor bikes. I realy like the look but I also like living and would love to not die while riding my bike, so let me know if you have one and if its good, or if its built like trash, thanks

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If you're getting it from Venice MB, I'm sure you'll be fine. You could get one cheaper elsewhere, but don't do that! Asphalt tastes terrible. Stick with the Venice one, it's your best bet.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im not sure iif Hes still doing them but SCP was offering a "re-manufactured" version of those forks. Check with Him. I am using a set..they rock.

Cheers

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
EBAY....$119.00 for a death trap.Venice did at one time have the beefed up ones for about $190.If you can get the beefed up ones go for it if not..be careful.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I just bought one from venice, was great service and the best price.... somebody sent a message about an upgraded one which mostly involved additional welding on the steer tube....cant fine that right now but it was cool .... shows how to do it yourself or you could get it already done for $180.... cant remember who it was but sure it was a member here......

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been using both forks (heavy duty & stock) on my bikes for quite a while now without any problems. (My personal bikes have the stock versions.)
I believe the problems with those other guys forks breaking was because the guys mounted them on extremely raked out chopper bikes.

I'll add this to the mix... All of the new Monark reproductions are actually stronger than the original 1952 Monark forks!

Pat still has some HD welded forks in stock.

Last edited:

Desmond

Oct 24, 2010
SoCal
I considered a Monark fork and saw the raked failures. It mirrors the failures of raked springers on motorcycles. Raking a fork certainly amps up the stresses on girder or springer forks. I have no experience with these, but would look to standard rakes for data.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
It's the Monark fork conspiracy! If your concerned then run a Schwinn springer. It's like riding a seasaw. I have both and prefer the handling stability of the Monark any day.