Crap parts that broke straight out of the box.

GoldenMotor.com

boz_m

Aug 30, 2009
Australia
Hi guys,

Thought id start a thread saying what broke in my kit, and maybe you guys can put what broke in yours. This might help people just starting out, and maybe alternatives for fixing them. We all know that there are some crappy chinese bits in these kits that are just waiting to die.

Exhaust gasket, didn't get 30 seconds on the bike before it broke, got some gasket paper and made my own.
Fuel line, disintegrated after about 2 weeks, replaced with a car fuel line at a cost of about $5
Clutch lever, broke when i dropped the bike, now using the front brake lever as my clutch.
Kill switch, springs inside wouldnt work, i took it apart and fixed it but in the process broke the soldered connection between the wire and the switch. Fix pending.

Feel free to share your own experiences.
Boz brnot

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My first kit showed up with a cracked spark plug and a bent up chain guard. The packing materials seemed lacking. I replaced the plug locally and the vendor replaced the chain guard.

aquarianmonkey

Sep 27, 2009
sedona Az.
Ya the kill switches are crap. I use a toggle switch between the black wires from the mag to the cdi. I really believe that killing the engine by grounding out the mag will shorten the mag life.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
My chain gaurd has cracked about 4 times already, in about the same spot near where it bolts to the engine. I reweld it each time, and even put some rubber bushings where it bolts to, but that just made it take more riding time for it to break. Other than that I have not had many major engine kit problems.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
things that broke on me:
tabs on gas cap = cap is tied on and waiting to be fixed
throttle cable near twist handle = bolted cable to brake handle for throttle
exhaust gasket = made my own gasket out of roll of cork gasket(dont use cork)
sparkplug boot fell apart = using extra one that came with kit
chain master link broke = its good to have extra master links

Last edited:

Yoshua

Oct 18, 2009
New Zealand
with mine

Fuel tap broke off in tank.
clutch cable nipple on leaver end popped off
cable housing pulled through housing stop
throttle stop broke off in the twist throttle housing
head bolt died and yes i was using a torque rench