Full Suspension Cruiser Frame?

GoldenMotor.com

benmot

Mar 7, 2010
Sacramento
Does anyone know of a cruiser type bike that has full/dual suspension? I can't find one, and I'm thinking I'll have to have it custom made.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Not a cruiser per se but there was a bike sold by Walmart called Avalon/Next. It actually was well reviewed for price. I believe one or two guys on here have put motors on them.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You might consider the use of a springed seat post instead of the rear suspension......would be a whole lot easier and cleaner looking.

Just typing out loud.............:D

benmot

Mar 7, 2010
Sacramento
You have to remember with dual suspension like that you have to figure out how to keep the chain tensioner properly.
Right - I read about that in the other thread, where he took out the rear suspension for that very reason.

I have to assume that the rear swingarm is steel...

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Micargi has a bike like the rover that has a rear shock but I don't think it has front shocks. I'm not sure what it was called I cant remember.

benmot

Mar 7, 2010
Sacramento
Thanks, Velodrome! I went to the Micargi site and looked through all of their bikes and didn't see that one. I think it's out of production.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
If the pivot point is in line with the center to center distance between sprockets then you won't need a tensioner as the chain slack will be minimum for our needs (+/- 2", 4" total travel This can all be calculated will simple trig functions.

Here is a quick xl spreadsheet calculation for chain slack for a rear suspension design where the pivot point is in line with the center to center distance between sprockets. It does not take into account sprocket sizes so may be slightly off, but not by much.

if you want to know how much it moves per two inch (approx) when it's not in line (fraction of an inch out) subtract the 4" from the 2" which is about .05". Compare to the .016" for the 2" movement here.

So yes, if your pivot is not in line you will need a tensioner. If it IS in line, you could get away without using one.

Attachments

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
This is one of the reasons I'm looking at a Fat Tire bike, Mainly for the cushy ride. Then add a shift kit to compensate for the extra torque it will need for starting out and going up hills.