ThatsDax rt High Performance Carburetor

GoldenMotor.com

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I can't wait to get this bad boy, I royally messed my CNS up so I'll be getting this monday. zoom zoom

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Here is the float (it is on a hinge! No more leaky float bowls...)

Main Jet:

Float Bowl Shutoff Valve:

Rectangular Slide:

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
To those using the HD throttle from sbp, it won't work with the RT carb. The 10.5cm draw isn't enough to make it work, ends up being way too short. So I'll have to go back to my broken original throttle till I can buy another little load of parts.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I just got in a new DAX RT carb and cable. I'm looking for a little guidance on the install of the throttle cable in the carb. Is there only one setting? Does it hook up similar to the CNS? I know to take off the black piece on top I just wanted a little bit of an idea of what I'm looking for in there.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Thats the deal bro, in this biz, you are kind off on your own! If you are at all mechanical you should be able to hook this thing up .Just take it cool and lay it all out and I am sure you will be able to do it!The square slide comes out easily. Take the top of the carb off, watch the spring so you do not lose it, and just thread the cable in simular tothe CNS. It took me a couple of try,s but got it! Good luck bro!

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
ok, I've gotten the DAX RT carb installed and took it on a test run of a little over a mile. I'm running a Grubee GT5 66/80cc angle fire using opti2 oil mixed at 100:1. For about the last 400 miles I've been running a CNS v2 carb with the tube disconnected between the bowl and air filter. All else is as it was shipped to me. Performance has not been bad with the CNS. Idled great, decent acceleration, seemed to 4 stroke quite a bit getting close to WOT. Hated the choke lever on the handlebars.

DAX RT Carb: Has high idle when the motor is cranked. Turned idle screw as far out as it would go. Still idles high. Ran it to see performance. When stopping at lights, the motor initially idles great. Gradually the idle builds. Revving the throttle does not make it idle down. By the time the light changes the motor is revving enough that I'm concerned. This process repeats at every stop of more than a few moments. The motor isn't putting out as much power as it did with the CNS. Hills I struggled over with the CNS the RT can't seem to get me over. Acceleration is slightly weaker than the CNS. Not much, but noticeable. Didn't have enough level ground to get it much past 3/4 throttle. Seemed nice. Not as much 4 stroking as the CNS. Will get to try WOT tomorrow. What I liked about the DAX RT better is that the throttle cable slides extremely smooth. Not having to deal with the CNS choke cable and handle bar lever makes for a much better look to me. Hopefully I'll like WOT tomorrow. Throttle response is better on the DAX. I like having the option of trading out the jets that came with it. It comes with a #70, #75, and a #80. The #75 is pre-installed. I'm going to switch to the #70 after trying this for a while. I'll save judgement on the DAX RT until I've run it a while and/or tried a different jet.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
ok, I've gotten the DAX RT carb installed and took it on a test run of a little over a mile. I'm running a Grubee GT5 66/80cc angle fire using opti2 oil mixed at 100:1. For about the last 400 miles I've been running a CNS v2 carb with the tube disconnected between the bowl and air filter. All else is as it was shipped to me. Performance has not been bad with the CNS. Idled great, decent acceleration, seemed to 4 stroke quite a bit getting close to WOT. Hated the choke lever on the handlebars.

DAX RT Carb: Has high idle when the motor is cranked. Turned idle screw as far out as it would go. Still idles high. Ran it to see performance. When stopping at lights, the motor initially idles great. Gradually the idle builds. Revving the throttle does not make it idle down. By the time the light changes the motor is revving enough that I'm concerned. This process repeats at every stop of more than a few moments. The motor isn't putting out as much power as it did with the CNS. Hills I struggled over with the CNS the RT can't seem to get me over. Acceleration is slightly weaker than the CNS. Not much, but noticeable. Didn't have enough level ground to get it much past 3/4 throttle. Seemed nice. Not as much 4 stroking as the CNS. Will get to try WOT tomorrow. What I liked about the DAX RT better is that the throttle cable slides extremely smooth. Not having to deal with the CNS choke cable and handle bar lever makes for a much better look to me. Hopefully I'll like WOT tomorrow. Throttle response is better on the DAX. I like having the option of trading out the jets that came with it. It comes with a #70, #75, and a #80. The #75 is pre-installed. I'm going to switch to the #70 after trying this for a while. I'll save judgement on the DAX RT until I've run it a while and/or tried a different jet.
Well,
I can say my experience was identicle to this, until I switched to the #70 jet. I highly recommend you switch to the .70mm jet RIGHT NOW! This carb runs so rich until you do so. I was even running rich on the .70mm, so I downjetted to a .67mm and it is now running great.

Now that I am on the .67mm jet, it runs like a beast. Amazing throttle response, top speed of about 35 at WOT on flat ground (with 44 tooth sprocket), and it climbs hills much better than my NT carb ever did.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm glad to see that someone else had the same problems. I'll go ahead and switch to the #70 jet. Did you drill that one to get to #67 or were you able to find a #67 jet?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
On thatsdax he's got the jets now. I don't know if he had them before, but I just noticed the jets and engine blocks on the bottom of page one.

Page Title

Check the very bottom of page, but I'm not sure which ones to get. The M5 or M6?

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
On thatsdax he's got the jets now. I don't know if he had them before, but I just noticed the jets and engine blocks on the bottom of page one.

Page Title

Check the very bottom of page, but I'm not sure which ones to get. The M5 or M6?
Yeah, I emailed him about them a couple days ago and I guess he responded to that by putting them up... At a great price too.

That is my exact question as well: Which size to get M5 or M6? I removed the jet from the carb and I was wondering how you determine if it is an M5 or M6 thread. The measurment across the threads with a digital caliper is 4.97 mm...

I'm glad to see that someone else had the same problems. I'll go ahead and switch to the #70 jet. Did you drill that one to get to #67 or were you able to find a #67 jet?
I soldered it and drilled it out to 0.67mm (#67 jet), with a #71 drill bit... But I would prefer it if I could use a manufactured jet because they have a better shape and are stronger. I could actually lean it out a bit more, I think a 65 would be about perfect...

Last edited:

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The #70 jet is installed. I'll report how it goes tomorrow. It almost gave me a heart attack though. When I removed the jet(that sucker was in there tight), the bowl fell out. There was a funny looking pin with it too. I looked at the hinge on the carb and saw that the hinge pin was barely hanging on. What the **** is this mystery pin? After about thirty minutes of studying it in my hot garage, I decided it slides into a slot on the float and is inserted into the idle jet. I have no idea what it does I just hope it does what it is supposed to do. At least that is how it was re-installed. it cranked and I made a couple of very short runs and it seemed to run and idle OK. I'll find out if that sucker is in there correctly when I drive it to work tomorrow.

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
The #70 jet is installed. I'll report how it goes tomorrow. It almost gave me a heart attack though. When I removed the jet(that sucker was in there tight), the bowl fell out. There was a funny looking pin with it too. I looked at the hinge on the carb and saw that the hinge pin was barely hanging on. What the **** is this mystery pin? After about thirty minutes of studying it in my hot garage, I decided it slides into a slot on the float and is inserted into the idle jet. I have no idea what it does I just hope it does what it is supposed to do. At least that is how it was re-installed. it cranked and I made a couple of very short runs and it seemed to run and idle OK. I'll find out if that sucker is in there correctly when I drive it to work tomorrow.
If you take pictures I can verify that you installed it properly...

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Finally got to use mine today, been two weeks of waiting :(. This thing blows the CNS out of the water. I ran mine with the #70 jet but it was too lean so I'll be going up a step and see what it does.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've got the #70 jet running now. It's doing better than the #75 but I'm not that impressed. It still starts four stroking fairly bad at wot. I checked the plug and it's a dark gray. I think the best jet size is somewhere between the two I've tried. This weekend i plan to try the #80 jet just to see what happens. Maybe I just got what I'm hearing is one of the few good CNS carbs. So far I would give the DAX RT carb the edge over the CNS only because of the built in choke lever.